When we see sales on cabbage and potatoes, there are two recipes that I always add to my menu…my Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage and this Potato Cabbage & Ham Soup recipe. Both are amazingly simple and have out of this world flavor—a winning combo in my world!
My guys are not big cabbage eaters. There are maybe 3 – 4 ways that they enjoy it…and this soup recipe is one of them. The combination of ingredients is really great and it’s the fennel seed that really ties everything together. Serve with a baguette from the Publix bakery and enjoy comfort food without a ton of effort.
I bet you have some chicken broth on hand from all the recent BOGO sales. Add in these deals from the Publix Ad & Coupons Week Of 3/12 to 3/18 (3/11 to 3/17 For Some) and you can serve up a hearty meal for well under $10 making this one tasty and economical!
- Smithfield Smoked Ham, Cubed or Diced, Fully Cooked, 8oz, BOGO $3.99
- Potato Inspirations Potatoes, 24 oz, BOGO $3.99
- Green Cabbage, $0.29/lb
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 med onion, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red potatoes, cubed
- ½ head cabbage, chopped
- 8 oz ham, cubed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 bay leaves
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot and cook the onions and carrots 1 - 2 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until the soup begins to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 - 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as desired.