I can roast a whole chicken any other way and there will be enough leftovers for another recipe. When I make this recipe, there are never any leftovers whatsoever. I pick on my guys because they always go for the breast meat and I get left with the dark meat only. I got smart after a couple of times and starting shoving the cream cheese into the leg and thigh areas too.
The only downside to this recipe is that you have to plan ahead a bit. You’ll need to stuff your chicken then let it bake for almost an hour and a half. I usually prep my chicken in the morning then toss it in the oven when we sit to start homework. Roast some potatoes while you cook your chicken then steam up some green beans and you have a delicious dinner. While it’s not a quick meal, the prep is relatively simple.
Seriously – you have to try this one! Don’t let the prep intimidate you. You’ll have to get your hands on that chicken a bit – but, the end result is wonderful.
Be sure and check out the other recipes I’ve shared so far for the Publix Menu Plan (Week Of 3/27 – 4/3):
- 3 – 4 pound whole chicken
- 8 oz block cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup balsamic dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Mix the cream cheese with the 1/8 teaspoon pepper and the rosemary.[url href=”https://www.iheartpublix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/chicken-skin-2.jpg”][img src=”https://www.iheartpublix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/chicken-skin-2.jpg” alt=”” width=”500″ height=”375″ class=”aligncenter size-full wp-image-183506″][/url]
- Use your fingers or the handle of a wooden or stainless spoon to gently lift the skin from the breast meat -[i] basically creating a pocket between the skin and meat.[/i][url href=”http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/rosemary-roasted-chicken-potatoes-107330.aspx” target=”_blank”][img src=”https://www.iheartpublix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cheese-under-skin-2.jpg” alt=”” width=”500″ height=”375″ class=”aligncenter size-full wp-image-183510″][/url]
- Gently push the cream cheese into that pocket trying not to tear the skin. [i](I find it easier to push the cheese under the skin with my fingers then work on top of the skin to gently move it around over the whole breast).[/i]
- You can repeat this process for the thigh area as well.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and remaining pepper.[url href=”https://www.iheartpublix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/chix-2.jpg”][img src=”https://www.iheartpublix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/chix-2.jpg” alt=”” width=”500″ height=”375″ class=”aligncenter size-full wp-image-183512″][/url]
- Brush with the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Place on a rack in a shallow baking dish and cook for 75 to 90 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
- 3 lbs Springer Mountain Roaster, $1.99 ($4.47 after 1.50/1 IP)
- Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Assorted Varieties, 7 or 8 oz, $1.50
- Wish-Bone Dressing, Assorted Varieties, 16 oz, BOGO $2.65 (60¢ after Uncorked coupon)
With the sale items at Publix you can put this one together for about $8.62!