This post is sponsored by Spice Islands. All comments and opinions are my own.
The holiday season isn’t just the perfect time for breaking bread with friends and loved ones, but also making it fresh at home. There’s just something about fresh-baked bread that fills the air with warmth and such a rich, inviting aroma that few other foods can compare to. More than that, though, it brings people to the table and warms hearts and fills bellies during the time of year that we crave both the most.
One of my all-time favorite breads to make is focaccia bread. It’s super simple and doesn’t require that you be a master baker to create an amazing bread.
Focaccia is a type of flat bread that’s often compared to pizza dough for their similar textures, though it tends to be lighter and fluffier. It also makes for an outstanding appetizer or side, especially when dipped or drizzled with a bit of oil, melted butter, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- 1¾ cups warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Sea Salt
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons Spice Islands Rosemary
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, halved
- ½ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Combine the warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Put the bowl in a warm place until the yeast is bubbling – about 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, ½ cup olive oil and the yeast mixture. Mix by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Once the dough has come together, knead by hand until it becomes smooth and soft.
- Coat the inside of a bowl lightly with olive oil and put the dough into the bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and put it in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Coat a sheet pan or two 12" skillets with the remaining ½ cup olive oil.
- Put the dough onto the pan and begin pressing it out to fit the size of the pan. Turn the dough over to coat the other side with the olive oil. Continue to stretch the dough to fit the pan. As you are doing so, spread your fingers out and make finger holes all the way through the dough.
- Put the dough in a warm place until it has doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Liberally sprinkle the top of the focaccia with some coarse salt, Spice Islands Rosemary, chopped pistachios and cranberries then lightly drizzle a little oil over the top.
- Bake the dough until the top of the loaf is golden brown – about 25 to 30 minutes.
What really makes this recipe special is that it’s topped with festive and colorful toppings that gives the bread AH-mazing flavor. The combination of cranberries, pistachios and rosemary all make this bread look AND taste amazing. And when it comes to the rosemary that I choose for my focaccia it’s gotta be Spice Islands Rosemary.
The reason is because Spice Islands is passionate about bringing the rich, authentic flavors of the world’s tables right into your kitchen for you and family to enjoy all year long. You could use other herbs and spices, but you’ll know the Spice Islands difference once you taste it for yourself.
Right now you can stock your cart and save! Look for a high value coupon in the Publix Extra Savings Flyer. You’ll save $3 on any two Spice Islands Spices and/or Extracts.
$3/2 Spice Islands Spices and Extracts Publix Coupon valid 11/20 to 12/3
And with all the cooking and baking that goes on during the holiday season, it’s a great time to make sure you’re well stocked. After all, the last thing you want is to realize you are one essential ingredient short when you’re in the middle of preparing your big holiday feast.
Remember, there’s still time to enter my special giveaway featuring a variety of Spice Islands products! Just head over HERE and enter for your chance to win a $100 Publix Gift Card and Spice Islands Spices prize pack.