This post is sponsored by Clemens Food Group®. All comments and opinions are my own.
If you’ve never tried candied bacon, you’re missing out on one of the most AMAZING foods ever. I know what a lot of you are thinking. Bacon for dessert or a sweet snack? And my answer is an absolute, emphatic, 100% yes!
Besides being easier to make than you might think and delicious on its own, candied bacon is also a fantastic way to dress up sweet treats like my Ice Cream Bars with Candied Bacon. And when it comes to bacon, you gotta go with Hatfield Brand Bacon! Besides being delicious and flavorful, Hatfield’s bacon is also thicker and crispier making it absolutely perfect for this recipe!
Plus, since that tasty bacon just happens to be BOGO right now, this is the perfect time for you to try your hand at this amazingly delicious treat. Check out my video below to see just how easy these are to put together. Then grab what you need, and surprise your family with the perfect combination of sweet and salty that will have them coming back for more!
- 6 – 8 slices of Hatfield bacon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 qt salted caramel ice cream, softened
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- chopped pecans
- Prepare the ice cream up to 1 day ahead of time, by lining a 1.5 quart bread pan with plastic wrap (allowing a 2″ overhang).
- Add the softened ice cream to the bread pan and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Cover the ice cream with a piece of fitted parchment paper and insert 16 popsicle sticks through the parchment and down into the ice cream.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours to set.
- To prepare the candied bacon, preheat the oven to 375º and place a wire rack on top of a foil lined baking sheet.
- Place the slices of Hatfield Bacon on the wire rack, sprinkle with half the black pepper and 1/3 cup of the brown sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bacon and carefully flip. Sprinkle the remaining black pepper and brown sugar over top and return to the oven and bake an additional 12 – 15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Allow the bacon to cool completely before chopping into small pieces.
- Prepare the chocolate coating. Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe dish and cook for 1 – 2 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- For ease in assembly, pour half of the prepared chocolate into a cup and refill as needed.
- When you are ready to prepare the ice cream bars, dip the bread pan in warm water to release the ice cream (DO NOT SUBMERGE THE PAN–only allow the water to touch the outside of the pan). Using the overhanging plastic wrap, pull the ice cream from the pan and use a sharp knife to cut the ice cream into 16 bars. *See assemebly note*
- To assemble the bars, set up a dipping station that includes the prepared chocolate, chopped candied bacon and chopped pecans.
- Start by spooning the chocolate over the ice cream bar.
- Then immediately sprinkle with some of the candied bacon and a few chopped pecans.
- Set the bar on parchment and then move to the freezer to harden fully.
- The bars can be individually wrapped in plastic and stored in the freezer for up to 1 week.
Remember, the Hatfield brand is relatively new to Publix. If you are already a fan, you are likely doing a happy dance about the BOGO sale. But, if you haven’t had a chance to check it out, now is definitely the time to meet your new favorite bacon.
Hatfield Bacon 16 oz, BOGO $8.99
Hatfield is committed to caring for and raising their animals the right way. With more than 125 years of history to their name, Hatfield’s pork isn’t a product to them, it’s their pledge to you, the customer. What does that mean? It starts with a promise that all of their pork is raised in America, without hormones, steroids, or other nasty growth promotants. It’s like the one saying goes, you are what you eat, and that’s why I love Hatfield’s pork products.
They’re also dedicated to supporting the family owned farms that make their pork possible. That includes using and researching sustainable farming practices, giving back to charity, and the promise of a living wage and development from within, among other forms of community outreach.
So don’t dilly dally, head into Publix and stock your cart with lots of tasty bacon. And don’t forget, you also have a chance to win FREE bacon for a year. Take a minute to visit my giveaway page here and enter for the chance to win a year’s worth of Hatfield Bacon and some cool swag!