My guys love when I serve up breakfast for dinner. I like to surprise them on occasion just to keep mealtime interesting. Ok…sometimes I just do it because it’s easy–tee hee!
Make-ahead recipes are such a great option when you are busy or just feeling lazy. When I saw the BOGO sale on bagels, I decided that I needed a lazy day and added my Make Ahead Bagel Breakfast Casserole to my menu for the week.
It’s a hearty meal and is super easy to prepare. Prep time is less than 10 minutes and then you pop it in the fridge overnight. Then about an hour before you are ready to eat, just pull the casserole out of the fridge for a few minutes and then bake for 45 minutes…easy breezy! You get all the flavors that you love without a lot of effort.
The sales at Publix make this a great week to add this to your breakfast or dinner menu. Look for these items on sale as part of the Publix Ad & Coupons Week Of 5/7 to 5/13 (5/6 to 5/12 For Some).
Thomas’ Bagels, 4 or 6 ct ,10.5 to 20 oz (Excluding Thins and Minis), BOGO $4.49
Banquet Brown’N Serve Sausage, Links or Patties, Sold Frozen, 6.4 oz, BOGO $2.29
Kraft Shredded Cheese or Chunk, 6 to 8 oz; or Kraft Taco Bell Shredded Cheese, 7 oz, 2/$6
- 4 large bagels, cut into ½" chunks
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ to ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup cooked sausage, chopped/crumbled
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1½ cups cheese, shredded
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper, dijon mustard and milk and set aside.
- Add the chopped bagels to a 13"x9" buttered casserole dish.
- Top the bagel chunks with the sausage, bell pepper and cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
- Use a spoon or spatula to press the bread down into the liquid.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator for 20 minutes before cooking.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375º.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until set and the top is golden.
- Cool slightly then cut and serve.