This post is sponsored by Pinnacle Foods and Boulder Brands. All comments and opinions are my own.
I know many of you guys are trying to focus on eating better. Perhaps you even made resolutions to make changes in your diet for the new year?
I am also trying to change up my menu so that my guys are eating more plant-based meals. I implemented Meatless Monday several years ago and was accepted without any complaints at all. As long as the meals are tasty, my guys are happy. So, I am thinking that adding a plant-based meal to the rotation is going to be just as successful.
I am very happy to report that my first effort was a HUGE hit. I paired a few tasty products from BIRDS EYE®, Earth Balance® and Gardein™ to whip up a batch of Sweet & Sour Chick’n that my family devoured.
The recipe is really just a modification of a family favorite…but is quicker and easier! I replaced the chicken with Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders. So there was no need to batter or fry chicken, I just popped the tenders in the oven and had great taste with basically no effort. In place of rice, I used BIRDS EYE® Veggie Made™ Riced Cauliflower. It offers the taste & texture needed for my recipe just made healthier with vegetables. Everything comes together with a simple sweet & sour sauce. I start by sautéing peppers in Earth Balance® Plant-Based Buttery Spreads and with a few extra ingredients dinner is ready to go!
A healthier and convenient recipe that is a fraction of the price I would have paid for similar take out!
- 8 Gardein® Seven Grain Crispy Tenders, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 package BIRDS EYE® Veggie Made™ Riced Cauliflower, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 teaspoon Earth Balance® Plant-Based Buttery Spread
- 1 green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 20 oz can of pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice + 1 cup of reserved juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- While the Gardein® Seven Grain Crispy Tenders are cooking, start the sauce by melting the Earth Balance® Plant-Based Buttery Spread in a medium-sized skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the peppers and cook for 3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add 1 cup of water, pineapple juice, brown sugar, tamari, rice wine vinegar and ketchup to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of corn starch and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl and add to the sauce and cook, stirring continuously, for another 2 -3 minutes until thickened.
- Toss the sauce with the cooked Gardein® Seven Grain Crispy Tenders and serve over BIRDS EYE® Veggie Made™ Riced Cauliflower.
Look for a huge selection of BIRDS EYE®, Earth Balance® and Gardein™ products at your local Publix. Each of these tasty options make it easier to choose plant-based foods without giving up taste, convenience or quality.
- Gardein is a wholesome range of tasty plant-based foods with a meaty texture.
- It’s made from soy, wheat and pea proteins, vegetables and ancient grains (quinoa, amaranth, millet and kamut®).
- Gardein is easy to digest and free of cholesterol, trans and saturated fats.
- The majority of Gardein foods are a good source of fiber and low fat too.
- Gardein is also 100% vegan – meaning it is animal and dairy free.
- This light and airy buttery delight is sensationally spreadable and made with all organic ingredients!
- Earth Balance® Plant-Based Buttery Spreads and Sticks are the perfect one for one butter swap in all your cooking and baking needs.
- Certified Organic
- Expeller-Pressed Oils
- 0G Trans Fat*
- No MSG
- Excellent Source of ALA Omega-3
- 320MG ALA Per Serving Which is 20% of the 1.6G Daily Value for ALA
- Delivers on the taste & texture of the your favorite foods.
- Offers a Full Serving of Vegetables Per Serving
- Has No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Preservatives
- No Hassle Prep – Steamfresh items are ready in the microwave in minutes and the Fries/Tots are ready in the oven in 20 minutes (no prep needed).
*See nutrition information for fat and saturated fat content