I have passed down my extreme love for Mexican food to my kids. My boys will devour tacos, enchiladas, nachos and really anything with those tasty Mexican flavors. I always tease them that they love Mexican food because it’s all that I craved when I was pregnant. I guess I kinda started them early–tee hee!
Taquitos are a HUGE favorite at my house. Jim and the boys can eat a plate like you see above in mere minutes! I have actually put a big plate of taquitos on the table and then went to grab something from the kitchen and come back to an almost empty plate…NO KIDDING!
Luckily taquitos are crazy simple to make so I can cook up extras on nights when they are super hungry!
I thought I’d share one of MY favorite versions. We all love the way they taste…but, I also love them as they are super simple to make! I use Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork as the base for this amazing recipe. I just open the package and pop it into the slow cooker with a little water. Then, in a few hours, I have the most amazing pork that is perfect for so many recipes—including these amazing taquitos.
Once the pork is ready, the taquitos come together in minutes. Simply add some meat to a corn tortilla, top with cheese, roll it up and then fry for 3 – 5 minutes for a tasty snack or meal that will disappear FAST!
- 1 pkg Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas
- ½ cup water
- 1 package corn tortillas, warmed
- 8 oz Mexican melting cheese like Quesadilla or Oaxaca, shredded
- Oil for frying
- cilantro for garnish if desired
- salsa for dipping, if desired
- Place the Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas in a slow cooker with ½ cup of water and use a spoon to gently break up the meat.
- Cook the meat on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Pour off all but ½ cup of the cooking liquid and then use two forks to shred the meat.
- Heat ½ inch of oil in a large skillet.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of meat and cheese to the middle of the warmed tortilla and wrap tightly.
- Working in batches of 6, Place the taquitos seam side down into the hot oil and fry for 3 - 5 minutes until golden brown, turning to ensure even browning.
- Remove to a paper lined plate to drain.
- Top with additional cheese and cilantro if desired and serve with salsa.
Now is the perfect time to stock your fridge and freezer! Look for six different Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork varieties in the meat aisle at Publix and take advantage of the sale price!
- Garlic & Herb Pork Sirloin 23 oz, $4.99 (reg $5.99)
- Roasted Garlic & Cracked Black Peppercorn Pork Tenderloin 18.4 oz, $6.99 (reg $7.99)
- Steakhouse Mushroom Pork Loin Filet 27.2 oz, $7.99 (reg $8.99)
- Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas 32 oz, $6.99 (reg $7.99)
- Garlic & Herb Pork Chops, 24 oz, BOGO $7.99
- Hickory Smoked Brown Sugar Pork Chops 24 oz, BOGO $7.99
All of the products have quick cook instructions and I promise, they are amazing baked or grilled but with just a tiny bit of effort you can serve up a dinner that’s out of this world.
I also wanted to give you a reminder about the Smithfield Real Flavor Real Fast contest. Through 10/31, consumers can submit their tip for getting dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less using Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork for a chance to win a trip to Wine Country (or hundreds of other prizes). Once the entry deadline of 10/31 has passed, consumers can vote on their favorite tip for a chance to win a $25 Visa gift card.