One of my boys favorite things for dinner is breakfast! I am not sure why it’s so exciting to have breakfast for dinner but they just love it. I am not sure if it;s that they love breakfast food or if they feel like they are getting to break the rules? Whatever the reason, I don’t mind whipping it up every now and again because I am a fan too.
One of our favorite options when we do breakfast for dinner is a big batch of Sausage Pinwheels. There are so many ways to do these. They are quite popular as an appetizer since they are perfect little handheld snacks. I am sure you have had them at various wedding and baby showers. I think that’s where I first tried them.
There are so many variations of this recipe. You can do them with just sausage but I like the addition of cream cheese – it makes them seem more like a meal. Then sometimes I add onions or in the case of the recipe I am sharing today…onions and bell peppers. You really can’t go wrong how ever you make them. Whip up some scrambled eggs and add in a big bowl of fruit and breakfast for dinner is quick and easy.
- 1 can Crescent Rolls
- 1 pound sausage
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- ½ small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons bell pepper, chopped
- Cook sausage, onion and bell pepper until meat is browned.
- Drain fat and mix the meat mixture with the softened cream cheese.
- Unroll the crescent dough onto a large pan or cutting boar, leaving the full sheet intact.
- Press seams together and roll out slightly.
- Spread the meat/cheese mixture over the sheet of dough.
- Start at the long end and gently roll the dough into a roll.
- Place the rolled dough into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour to chill (dough will hold and cut better once chilled).
- Remove from the fridge and preheat oven to 375º F.
- Use a sharp knife and with a sawing motion - cut the roll into into 1 inch pinwheels.
- Place each pinwheel onto an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375º F oven for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown.
2) Pillsbury Crescent Dinner Rolls, Original, 4 oz can, Cinnamon with Icing, 7.3 oz can, Grands! Biscuits, 10.2 oz can, or Jr. Flaky Golden Layers Butter Tastin’, 12 oz, 10/$10 (as low as 50¢ after coupons)
Publix Cream Cheese – $1.89
Sweet Onions, $1.29/lb
Breakfast for dinner for under $9!