This post is sponsored by Unilever. All comments and opinions are my own.
I make a lot of sandwiches each week. To keep everyone from getting bored, I like to vary the bread and fillings that I use.
I might use sourdough bread one day, rye bread the next, and whole wheat bread the day after that. For fillings, I might try ham and cheese, turkey and avocado, or grilled chicken and pesto. With so many different combinations available, I can usually come up with something tasty.
Pimento Cheese is a favorite filling that I make pretty often. I can make a big batch at the beginning of the week and my guys can use that to make sandwiches throughout the week. When I have extra pimento cheese, I like to use it to make tasty hand pies.
I just sandwich the extra pimento cheese between a couple of layers of puff pasty and bake it up. It’s a great way to shake up the usual sandwich and helps me make the most of leftovers. But this time of the year, I like to make a batch special just for my Pimento Cheese Hand Pie Mummies.
Way beyond basic, these tasty hand pies are absolutely delicious and so much fun. They are an ideal meal to help you celebrate the season without a lot of effort. You can make a few for your family or whip up a large batch and feed a house full of hungry treat or treaters.
I have a couple of different pimento cheese recipes that I like. While they are all very similar, for my holiday meal, I like to go with my kicked up pimento cheese. My kicked up version includes a combination of pimento and roasted red pepper. There’s also a little heat thanks to some hot sauce and cayenne. And in place of regular mayonnaise, I use Hellmann’s Garlic Aioli Dip & Spread.
Everything gets mixed up with some cheese and then it’s time to make the mummies.
That step is just as easy as you simply spread the pimento cheese on some puff pastry then layer additional strips of the puff pasty over top. Once it’s baked, you end up with a tasty snack or meal that looks as good as it tastes.
With the BOGO sale on Hellmann’s, now would be the perfect time to grab your ingredients and add this festive dish to your menu.
Hellmann’s Garlic Aioli Dip & Spread, or Mayonnaise, Spicy Mayonnaise Dressing, or Vegan Dressing & Spread, 11.5 oz, BOGO $4.99
Stock your cart with all the different varieties for all your favorite meals and recipes. Look for the discount as part of the Publix ad valid 10/26 – 11/1 (10/25 – 10/31).
Pimento Cheese Hand Pie Mummies
- 2 sheets of puff pasty, thawed according to pkg instructions
- 1 egg
- black olives, for eyes
- 1/2 cup Hellmann’s Garlic Aioli Dip & Spread
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz Pepper Jack cheese
- 3 oz pimentos, chopped
- 3 oz roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix all pimento cheese ingredients in a medium bowl until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Roll out the each puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface until it's approximately 11"x10" in size. Cut each puff pastry sheet into 6 equal rectangles for a total of 12 rectangles.
- Place 8 of the puff pieces onto a parchment lined sheet. Spread about 1/4 cup of the pimento cheese onto each of the 8 pastry pieces, leaving about 1/2 border.
- Use a knife of pizza wheel to cut the other 4 pastry pieces into thin strips.
- Place the pastry strips over top of the pimento cheese to create a mummy appearance, leaving room for eyes.
- Use a fork to crimp the edges of the strips to the bottom puff pastry.
- Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the top and edges of the puff pastry.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, until golden brown and puffed. Cool slightly then add black olives for eyes. Serve and enjoy.