This post is sponsored by Galbani. All comments and opinions are my own.
Pizza night is a weekly tradition that brings family and friends together over slices of cheesy goodness. But eating the same things each week can get a bit boring and monotonous. So why not shake things up and take your typical pizza night to the next level with a batch of tasty calzones? These stuffed pockets are a delightful twist on traditional pizza, offering great texture and flavor.
I love them because they are easy to customize. Make a couple of large calzones to feed your whole family or go with smaller individual calzones and fill them with each person’s favorite things.
When it comes to the fillings, the sky is the limit. Stuff them full of meats, lots of veggies or a combination of the all things you love. But, one thing that has to be included in every calzone is delicious Galbani Ricotta Cheese. It adds amazing flavor and brings a rich creaminess that pairs perfectly with all the other ingredients.
One of our favorite versions is the Spinach, Sausage & Ricotta Calzone that you see above. It’s super easy to prepare and comes together in a flash. You can use refrigerated pizza dough to cut your prep time in half.
Just cook up your sausage and drain off any excess fat. Pop the spinach in the hot pan and stir to allow it to wilt. In a separate bowl, just mix up the ricotta with some shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
From there, you just assemble the calzone by adding some of the sausage and spinach atop the pizza dough. Then you add dollops of the ricotta mixture. That’s followed by a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
Fold the dough over the filling and seal it up. Cut a few slits in the dough to release the steam and then bake for 25 minutes or so and you end up with an amazing dinner that your whole family will gobble up!
Spinach, Sausage & Ricotta Calzone
- 1 refrigerated pizza dough
- 4 oz ground sausage
- 10 oz fresh spinach
- 1 cup Galbani® Whole Milk Ricotta
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese - grated
- 1 cup Galbani® Mozzarella - shredded
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet, crumbling as you cook.
- Drain the excess fat then add the spinach to the hot pan and stir until wilted.
- Place the ricotta in a medium bowl and add the shredded parmesan and half of the mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a parchment lined sheet pan and spoon the sausage/spinach mixture over half of the pizza dough.
- Drop dollops of the cheese mixture over the sausage. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- Fold the unfilled half over the filling, crimping and pressing the edges together to seal and form a half moon.
- Cut 3 or 4 slits in the top of each calzone, to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 - 22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Choose Galbani Ricotta cheese to add amazing creaminess to a wide range of dishes. Its smooth texture, delicate flavor, and adaptability make it a must-have in any kitchen. When you got Galbani, you gotta ricotta for endless meals your whole family will love.
Count on Italy’s #1 cheese brand to help you bring amazing flavor to your favorite meals and recipes. Look for Galbani Ricotta in the dairy aisle at your local Publix.