This post is sponsored by Knorr. All comments and opinions are my own.
Caldo de Pollo, or Mexican Chicken Soup, is the perfect soup for the cooler weather AND sticking to those New Year’s resolutions. Whether your goal is to save time, save money or eat better, this recipe will tick all those boxes!
My local Mexican restaurant makes an incredible chicken soup. It comes in a really big bowl with a side of cilantro, some limes AND a really big price tag! One order of soup is almost $10 in my area. That’s crazy when you consider that I can make an entire pot of soup for my family for about that same price!
When I saw the deal on Knorr Sides in the Extra Savings Flyer, I knew that it was time to add this tasty dish to my menu. It’s my secret to great flavor without a lot of effort. All it takes is some chicken thighs, various veggies and a package of Knorr Sides Spanish Rice. The combination yields and amazing homemade Caldo de Pollo that’s perfect for any night of the week.
Knorr Sides 3.8 to 5.7 oz, $1.25
–$1/4 Knorr Sides 3.8 to 5.7 oz (excludes One Skillet Meals) Publix Digital Coupon
Just $1 per package!
There are several things that keep this soup economical. I already mentioned the Knorr Sides sale, that is a super easy way to add flavor without a big price tag. Then there is the chicken. For this recipe, I like to use inexpensive bone-in chicken thighs instead of the more expensive chicken breast. The thighs provide a better flavor and when boiled up with a few other ingredients you have an amazing broth. This homemade broth means you don’t have to spend additional money on a pre-made version.
And when it comes to the veggies, you can really use whatever you have handy. Soups are ideal for using up any excess pantry and fridge items. Throw in potatoes, squash, carrots, onion or really whatever you love and it will be great.
I am sharing my favorite version of Caldo de Pollo below, feel free to use it as a base and create your own perfect soup. Make sure you load your digital coupon and you can score savings when you grab your ingredients.
Caldo de Pollo
- 8 cups water
- 1.25 lbs bone-in chicken thighs (with or without skin)
- 4 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1/2 large onion - chopped
- 2 carrots - sliced
- 2 celery stalks - sliced
- 1 pkg Knorr Sides Spanish Rice
- 2 ears of corn - cut into quarters
- 1 zucchini - sliced
- limes - for serving
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro + additional for serving
- Place water, chicken thighs, crushed garlic, half onion and salt in a large stock pot and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, discard the bones and skin, shred and set aside
- Strain the broth and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot and cook the onion, celery and carrots for 3 - 4 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Stir in the strained broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir in the Knorr Sides Spanish Rice mix.
- Continue to boil for 5 minutes then add the corn and cook another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, let it heat through and then serve with limes and chopped cilantro.