This post is sponsored by Clemens Food Group®. All comments and opinions are my own.
According to tradition, a meal with black-eyed peas and greens on New Year’s Day will bring you luck and fortune in the year to come. Well, who couldn’t use some luck to start the new year?! Especially when that luck comes in the form of a bowl of filled with my delicious Black Eyed Peas With Bacon & Greens!
That bowl of goodness is my favorite way to start the year. I used to cook my peas and greens separately but found that I could save time and get amazing flavor by combining the two ingredients. But it’s really the delicious flavor of the Hatfield Bacon that brings everything together! You get amazing flavors and texture in every scrumptious bite.
Bacon is one of my all-time favorite foods. While many only think of it as a breakfast food, I think that the taste and versatility make it the ultimate addition to almost any meal. It’s amazing on sandwiches, sprinkled on salads, wrapped around chicken. And in the case of black eyed peas, it takes what is a pretty bland dish and brings it to a whole new level of deliciousness!
So as you are preparing your menu for New Year’s Day, grab a package of Hatfield Bacon and you’ll be on your way to an amazing meal. Heck, you might want to grab several packages so you have that great flavor for plenty of other tasty meals as well.
- 1 lb dried black eyed peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 8 slices of Hatfield Bacon, diced
- 7 oz smoked sausage, cubed
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 32 oz broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 2½ cups water
- 2 cups kale (or collard greens)
- Clean the peas of any foreign items, rinse and cover with approximately 4 inches of water. Allow to soak overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Add the bacon, smoked sausage and onion to a large pot or dutch oven and cook until the bacon is crispy, sausage is browned and onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cajun seasoning and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, water, bay leaves and the black eyed peas.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for about an hour or until the beans are tender.
- Stir in the kale and simmer for an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
- Taste and season as needed.
- Garnish with green onion and cooked and crumbled Hatfield Bacon, if desired.
Hatfield Bacon is the perfect addition to any recipe. Available in three varieties, you can add great taste to all your favorite meals and recipes.
- Hatfield Hardwood Smoked Bacon – The classic, now thicker sliced! It’s a Hatfield family tradition.
- Hatfield Applewood Smoked Bacon – Enjoy their beloved Applewood bacon—richer, heartier, smokier, and now thicker sliced!
- Hatfield Thick Cut Hardwood Smoked Bacon – This delicious thick cut bacon has the same great taste as the favorite Hatfield bacon. But there’s more bacon to love, because it’s thick bacon.