This post is sponsored by Spice Islands. All comments and opinions are my own.
We all love our sweet treats during the holidays. Cakes, pies and cookies are the obvious examples, especially when they’re seasonally themed. But, I like to think outside the box.
While a bit little less traditional, my Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Pudding Parfait is an easy option that’s packed with AMAZING flavor. Between the buttery smoothness of the pumpkin pudding and the warm, sugary taste of the snickerdoodles, it’s like the signature flavors of fall all got together for a party in a glass! What really takes this parfait to the next level, though, is the combination of Spice Islands Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Pure Vanilla extract.
I make Crispy Snickerdoodles every year for my cookie exchanges and the recipe below will make enough for you to gift PLUS plenty left to whip up these tasty parfaits. You gotta try them… they are just delicious!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons Spice Islands cinnamon
- 3.4-ounce box instant vanilla pudding mix
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1½ cups cold milk
- ¼ teaspoon Spice Islands Ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup Whipped topping
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter, shortening and sugar with your hand or stand mixer by beating on medium high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture a little at a time, and mix until just combined.
- Form the dough into a disc and wrap with plastic. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and form into 1" balls.
- Roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat all sides then place approximately two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Gently press the balls to flatten to about half inch thickness
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool on the pan for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies bake, prepare the pudding by whisking the pumpkin puree, vanilla pudding mix, milk and ground nutmeg for 2 minutes, until thickened. Refrigerate for 10 minutes (or until ready to assemble the parfait).
- Crumble one cookie in the bottom of a parfait glass.
- Top with about 2 tablespoons of the pudding mixture.
- Add a layer of whipped topping (approx 1 tablespoon).
- Repeat with a layer of cookies, another layer of pudding and top with a dollop of whipped topping.
- Garnish with additional crushed cookies if desired.
Whatever you plan on whipping up for the holidays, now is a good time to double check your spice rack. Not just to make sure you have everything you need, but also to make sure what you do have hasn’t lost its potency. If you smell your spices and they seem bland or just off somehow, it’s time to replace them.
Of course, not all spice brands are created equal. You might be tempted to go with one of the bargain brands, but this is the perfect example of getting what you pay for. That’s why for my money, Spice Islands herbs and spices are the only way to go.
The people at Spice Islands pride themselves on helping to bring the world’s finest, most authentic flavors to you and your family’s table any time and meal of the day. Using only the most quality ingredients, they’ve created a line of spices, seasonings, and herbs that’s simply the best in the spice aisle.
Remember, you still have time to grab savings. Use the Publix coupon to score a super discount on your next Spice Islands Spices purchase. Just don’t dilly dally, the coupon expires on Friday.
AND don’t forget, there’s still time to enter my giveaway too. One lucky iHeartPublix reader will win a prize pack filled with Spice Islands products, plus a $100 Publix Gift Card! Head over HERE to enter while there’s still time, and good luck everyone!