This post is sponsored by Bertolli. All comments and opinions are my own.
Many years ago, I decided to add one meatless dish to my menu each week. At first, it was done as a way to save money. But I got so good at coming up with tasty meatless meals, now I include a couple of different options in my weekly menu so my guys get the foods they love.
That Eggplant Rollatini that you see above is an example of one of my family’s favorite meatless meals. It’s hearty, full of veggie goodness and tastes absolutely amazing. I could put it on the table every single week and my guys would never complain!
While it may look like it would be difficult and time consuming to prepare, it’s actually super simple. Just cut and roast some eggplant, spread on a cheese mixture then roll it up and bake in a tasty pasta sauce. The eggplant itself is really quite neutral so the key to this dish is using a good pasta sauce. For me, that means a jar of Bertolli!
It seems like every shopping trip, there are all sorts of new labels trying to grab my attention, but have you checked some of those price tags? That’s why when it comes to quality and value, the only name I need to know is Bertolli.
With a huge selection of sauces, I can always find the perfect sauce for all my favorite meals and recipes. Each and every variety offers authentic Italian flavor. In true Tuscan tradition, each Bertolli pasta sauce starts with Italian staples like roasted garlic, Parmesan cheese and vine-ripened tomatoes. Using simple ingredients cooked lightly with olive oil to lock in layers of flavor, you get a sauce that’s perfect for every meal.
Whether used in a baked pasta dish, a soup, a casserole or even my Eggplant Rollatini, when you use Bertolli Pasta Sauce you get great taste every single time!
Grab a jar of your favorite Bertolli red sauce and a few ingredients and put this meatless wonder on your menu this week!
- 2 eggplant
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups Bertolli red sauce, divided (I like the traditional marinara)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices (a mandolin will make quick work of this). You will not need all the pieces. Keep 12 – 15 of the larger, middle pieces and use the smaller end pieces for another meal/recipe.
- Place the eggplant slices on a paper towel and sprinkle with kosher salt. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, then pat dry, removing all excess moisture.
- Place the eggplant on an oiled baking sheet and drizzle with additional olive oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes, just until the eggplant is softened and pliable.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of Bertolli Marinara in the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish and set aside.
- In a bowl add ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, pesto, eggs and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan and mix to combine.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture onto each eggplant slice and spread to cover the whole slice.
- Start at the short end and gently roll the eggplant to create the roll.
- Place into the prepared baking dish.
- Spoon the remaining Bertolli Marinara over top of the rolls and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of parmesan and bake an additional 8 – 10 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Cool slightly and serve garnished with chopped parsley or basil.
And right now you can grab a jar and a deal! Be sure to load the digital coupon to save $1 on your favorite variety of Bertolli Pasta Sauce. Use it to serve up your favorite recipe… or take the opportunity to try my Eggplant Rollatini recipe.