Most of us are stuck at home at this point. Keeping visits to the grocery store to a minimum is very important to ensure that we stay well AND keep all of our neighbors safe as well. That means we may have to get a little bit creative with the menu.
I think this is a great time to look to the pantry for meal ideas. One of my family’s favorite meals that I can whip up most any time is a batch of tasty Black Bean Burgers. It uses very few ingredients with the majority being items that you probably have on hand right now. Don’t worry…if you don’t have the fresh cilantro, it’s not a deal breaker. You can leave it out and the burgers are still yummy!
I learned that making these into 8 sliders tends to satisfy my guys more than serving 4 large burgers. You can decide what works best for your family. And if you are having a hard time finding buns, I included my homemade buns recipe. Don’t be afraid to try it out…anyone can make them!
AND if you want to get ahead and have a meal prepped for when you need it, these freeze great.
Just whip up the recipe and form your patties. Place a piece of parchment between each patty and then transfer the burgers to a freezer bag and pop in the freezer. You can cook them from frozen…you will just have to adjust and increase the cook time slightly.
Give them a try and let me know what you think!
- 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sriracha (more if desired)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, etc...
- In a food processor, pulse the onion, garlic and cilantro until finely minced.
- Pat the beans dry and place in a bowl.
- Use a fork to mash the beans then add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, sriracha, onion mixture and the egg.
- Stir until combined.
- Add the breadcrumbs and mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture and create 8 sliders (or 4 large burgers) by rolling the mixture into a ball then gently flattening into a burger.
- You can now freeze or cook the burgers.
- To cook, heat a skillet over medium heat and lightly coat with oil.
- Cook the burgers for 4 minutes per side for sliders and (6 - 7 minutes for burgers) until heated through and set.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings.