Since we have a sale on chicken and broth, I knew I’d be putting a soup of some sort on my menu this week.
This time of year I crave hearty soups and stews. Comfort foods like this Chicken Pot Pie Soup really hit the spot when the temperatures dip down like they did this week.
This recipe is a popular one at my house. My guys love the taste and I like making it because it’s really quite easy to throw together. When I have extra time, I will make a batch of biscuits to go with the soup. But on busy weeks (like this one) I just throw out some crackers and let my guys dig in. This soup is thick and creamy and packed with flavor…I don’t think you’ll miss the crust at all!
This recipe is also easy to adjust based on what you have handy. Skip the carrots and toss in mushrooms or throw in frozen veggies in place of fresh. The options are endless and you can modify based on what you like best. The recipe below is my “standard” that I make…as long as I have everything handy. I have been known to adjust as needed and it still turns out delicious every single time!
With the sales available this week at Publix, I would estimate that you could have this on the table for around $10 – $12 depending on what you already have on hand.
Look for these items on sale as part of the Publix Ad & Coupons Week Of 1/23 to 1/29 (1/22 to 1/28 For Some):
- Springer Mountain Farms Chicken Breasts or Chicken Thighs, Boneless, Grade A, Raised Without Antibiotics, BOGO $6.79/lb
- College Inn Broth or Stock, 32 oz, or Simple Starter Sauce, 24 oz (Excluding Bone Broth and Culinary Stock), BOGO $2.69 – $3.79
- Publix Idaho Russet Potatoes, 5 lb, $3.69
- Publix Baby Cut Carrots, 1 lb, $0.99
- Sweet Onions, $0.99/lb
When we get BOGO chicken, I will usually throw a pack or two in my slow cooker so I have cooked chicken handy for a variety of recipes throughout the week. Of course you can also bake or boil the chicken to have it ready ahead of time. That way you can have this soup ready in under 30 minutes. It really is a great recipe for a busy weeknight! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot.
- Add onion, celery and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, until the veggies are tender and the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add milk, chicken, chicken broth, peas, potatoes, salt, pepper and tarragon and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, stirring often so that the bottom does not stick and burn.
- Cook, stirring often, for 12 – 15 minutes or until thickened and the potatoes are tender.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.