With the sale on chicken and squash in the Publix ad this week, I knew immediately what to put on my menu…my Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken With Squash!
Now my guys are NOT big squash fans but they love this recipe. I make sure the squash is crisp tender and not mushy so that my guys will not complain about the texture. So ultimately, they are getting yummy veggies and chicken in a rich, creamy sauce…what’s not to love?!
I love the recipe for the taste and the ease of prep. It really doesn’t take too much effort to put this meal together and you really only need the one pan. When I am in a hurry, I will just toss a couple of trays of rice in the microwave and dinner is done in a flash. When I have a little more time, I will cook up some pasta instead. Really this dish is great on either.
You likely have some of the items already on hand for this dish. Here are the products on sale as part of the Publix Ad Week Of 9/26 To 10/2 (9/25 to 10/1 For Some):
- Publix Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts 97% Fat Free or Drumsticks or Thighs Any Size Package, BOGO $4.99
- Zucchini or Yellow Squash, $1.09/lb
- BelGioioso Snacking Cheese, Mozzarella, Parmesan, or Fontina 6 oz pkg, 2/$5
- Breakstone’s or Plugra Butter 8 oz pkg, 2/$5
I would estimate that you can have this on the table for about $10 – $12 if you have some pantry staples handy. I try to keep my price per person under $5 so this one comes in under budget!
Pick up any ingredients that you need and let me know what you think about the dish.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound squash, sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- [u]Cream Sauce[/u]
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix the flour and lemon pepper seasoning and dredge the chicken in the mixture, coating all sides.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of the butter and 1 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken for 6 – 9 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter and oil to the pan and cook the squash for 2 – 3 minutes, just until crisp tender.
- Use a paper towel to wipe out the pan and any remaining cooked flour. (Note: this is not absolutely necessary but if you choose not to wipe the pan, your sauce will likely be a bit darker in color).
- Pour the cream into the pan and heat over medium high heat until it begins to boil.
- Reduce heat and add the lemon juice, lemon zest and lemon pepper seasoning, cook for 1 minute stirring constantly as the sauce thickens.
- Add the parmesan cheese and continue to stir until melted.
- Add the cooked chicken and squash back to the pan and stir to coat in the sauce.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
If you prefer, you could absolutely use chicken thigh meat in this recipe and save more moolah. Remember, chicken breast, thighs and legs are all on sale this week!