I mentioned yesterday that my menu this week is packed with slow cooker meals. When things get hectic…or if I expect them to be a little crazy, my slow cooker is my sanity saver. This week, I needed a little break from the kitchen to focus on a variety of things. So I pulled out my crock and it’s been sitting on my counter all week.
I probably have 50+ meals that start with the slow cooker. In some cases, the slow cooker does all the work and some require a little effort at the end.
The meal I am sharing today does require a little effort after the big cook…but honestly, its minimal. You should be able to whip up a couple of quesadillas in about 10 minutes from start to finish.
What’s great about this meal is that almost everything you need is on sale this week at Publix.
- Old El Paso Refried Beans 16 oz, BOGO $1.53
- Old El Paso Flour Tortillas, BOGO $2.19
- Pace Salsa, Picante Sauce, or Queso Dip, 15 or 16 oz, BOGO $2.57
- Springer Mountain Farms Chicken Breast or Chicken Thighs, Boneless, Grade A, Raised Without Antibiotics, BOGO $6.79/lb
- Sargento Shredded Cheese, 5 to 8 oz, 2/$5
You can put this meal together for about $10 or less with coupons. So it’s simple, economical and delicious…a winning combination!
Stock up on the items and you can have enough to make it this week and then sometime down the road. You’ll be thankful to have the items on hand on a day that you need a sanity saver meal :-)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8 oz salsa
- 8 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 16 oz refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Combine the salsa and taco seasoning and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once the chicken is done, shred the chicken then place back in the crock pot and stir to coat with the salsa mixture.
- Create the quesadillas by spreading ¼ cup of beans on one side of a flour tortilla. Top the beans with ¼ of the chicken and ½ cup of cheese.
- Place a second flour tortilla on top to cover the filling.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with oil and cook the quesadilla for 4 - 5 minutes per side, until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Repeat for the other 3 quesadillas.
- Cut each into quarters and serve with your favorite toppings.