This post is sponsored by Veetee. All comments and opinions are my own.
When I spotted the BOGO sale on chicken and pineapple, I knew exactly what to make for dinner this week…Sweet & Sour Chicken!
This recipe is super easy and tastes so much better than the take out version that you can grab from those fast food chains. With the deals in the new Publix ad, it’s also much more economical too! Just raid your pantry for a few staples and hit Publix for the deals. I would estimate that you can put this together for well under $10 if you have those basic pantry items (flour, sugar, ketchup, eggs, oil, etc).
Here are the sale items that you can grab through 7/31 (7/30 for some) –
- Publix Pineapple Chunks, Small or Medium Size Package, BOGO $4.99/lb
- Publix Chicken Fillets, 99% Fat-Free, USDA Grade A; or Drumsticks or Thighs, BOGO $5.79/lb
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup corn starch,
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1 pineapple, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- Steamed rice for serving
- Place vinegar, pineapple juice, sugars, ketchup and soy sauce into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Mix corn starch and water and pour into boiling mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes until thickened and set aside.
- Mix the flour, corn starch, salt and pepper and place in a large bowl or zip top bag.
- Dip the chicken in the flour mixture and shake to remove any excess breading.
- Next, dip the chicken in the beaten egg then return the chicken to the flour mixture for a second time.
- Be sure to shake off any excess breading.
- Add about a cup of oil to a large pan or wok and heat over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, cook the battered chicken for approx 4 - 5 minutes per side until golden brown and then remove to a paper lined plate - I generally cook the chicken in 2 batches so I don't over crowd the pan.
- Dump the oil, wipe your pan and add ½ teaspoon of oil to the pan and heat it to medium low.
- Stir fry the bell pepper for approx 3 minutes until crisp/tender.
- Add the pineapple, cooked chicken and sweet and sour sauce to the pan and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Because this is a quick recipe, I typically just heat up a couple of trays of Veetee Rice so that I don’t have to deal with steaming rice while I try to prepare the recipe. It takes that added step out and helps me get dinner on the table fast!
You’ll find a nice selection of Veetee Rice at Publix…all that taste great and have no additives or preservatives. Each tray is just nutritious rice that you heat and eat or use in your favorite recipe. Stop by the rice/pasta aisle and stock your cart with all your favorite varieties. You will be very appreciative to have the trays handy on a busy night or when you need rice in a pinch.