This week I thought I would share one of my guys’ favorite meals—Tater Tot Chili Cheese Dog Casserole.
Now, this is far from gourmet fare…but it is hearty, comfort food that should make your kids very happy. It’s super simple to prepare and is also very budget friendly.
This usually shows up on my menu the day after I make a batch of homemade chili. I always make sure to save some chili so that I can whip this one up. It’s pretty much a tradition at my house at this point. But when I saw the sale on hot dogs, potatoes and cheese…this recipe immediately came to mind.
If you don’t have homemade chili on hand or hiding in your freezer, just grab a couple of cans of your favorite chili. The canned stuff works fine and keeps this one an economical option for your weekly menu. If you have to buy everything, you’ll should be around $10 for the whole meal. Here is what you will find on sale as part of the Publix Ad & Coupons Week Of 5/16 to 5/22 (5/15 to 5/21 For Some) –
- Hebrew National Beef Franks, Bun-Length, Jumbo, All Natural, Reduced-Fat, Regular, or 97% Fat-Free, or Beef Knockwurst, Kosher, 9.43 to 12 oz, BOGO $5.99
- Publix Frozen Potatoes or Onion Rings, 16 to 32 oz, 2/$5
- Tillamook Cheese Chunks, 8 oz, BOGO $4.49
I like to serve this with a salad just to feel like I am offering something healthy with the meal. Of course, my guys could care less about that salad, they just want to dig in to the casserole!
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 2½ cups of your favorite chili
- 12 oz beef franks, sliced
- 1½ cups cheese, shredded
- approximately 2 cups tater tots
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Mix the chili, hot dogs and 1 cup of cheese in a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a 8x8-inch casserole dish.
- Top with tater tots bake for 45 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tots and bake for an additional 5 minutes until melted.