I spotted the BOGO sales on cheese, mayo, tomatoes and pie crusts and knew exactly what meal to share with you guys this week…Tomato Pie! I absolutely love this pie and have been making it since a friend gave me the recipe 20+ years ago.
Now this isn’t a sweet pie—this is a savory pie that tastes amazing. It kinda curious how so few ingredients can combine to make something so tasty. When summer comes and I start getting big batches of fresh tomatoes from friends and family, this ends up on the menu about once per week.
At this point I don’t even measure the ingredients. I find that eyeballing it works just fine and I have never, ever had one of my pies come out wrong.
But, I will share the recipe with you today so you can take advantage of the sale and whip up a tasty pie to enjoy at your house.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 6 - 8 small tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 - 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Lay tomato slices out on a stack of paper towels and sprinkle with salt. (This helps remove a lot of the moisture so the bottom of your pie crust doesn't get soggy.)
- Press the pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Line the pie shell with foil (covering crust) and bake in a 400º oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the foil and reduce the heat to 375º and bake for an additional 8 minutes.
- Place ½ cup of mozzarella cheese in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Layer the tomatoes on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper and then top the tomatoes with the garlic and fresh basil
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo, parmesan and the remaining mozzarella and then spread mixture over the tomatoes.
- Foil the edges of your pie and bake in a 375º oven for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, cut and serve!