Well, Christmas is over and chances are that you have a refrigerator full of leftovers. You spent so much time preparing that holiday feast, why not get the most out of that effort?!
One of my favorite things to do with all that extra food is to whip up a tasty chowder! It’s a quick and easy way to use up leftovers so you get the most bang for your buck. Plus, it’s super easy to make and tastes amazing! I’ll admit that sometimes I even hide a little ham just so I can make a batch of chowder.
This is generally referred to as Leftover Chowder at my house as I really just throw in whatever I have handy. I raid my produce drawer and pull out those partial bags of frozen veggies and it all goes in the pot. I thought I would share one of my favorite versions of this chowder. Leftover Chowder doesn’t really do it justice so we’ll call it Ham Chowder as I think that it might sound more appealing.
Once you get the chowder base done, feel free to add in any other veggies that you like. I promise you really can’t go wrong no matter what you toss in. Serve over Veetee Rice and you’ll have a quick and tasty meal that your whole family will love!
- 8 - 10 slices of bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas & carrots
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups diced ham
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Add the chopped bacon to a large pot and cook over medium heat until crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from the pan and allow to drain on a paper lined plate.
- Cook the onions in the bacon fat for about a minute, or until translucent.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for one minute.
- Add the milk and stock.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, stirring often, until it starts to thicken.
- Add the peas, carrots, corn, potatoes and salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Stir often to prevent the veggies from sticking.
- Stir in the ham and serve warm.
- Serve topped with the reserved bacon and shredded cheese.
Remember, Veetee rice tastes great and comes out of the microwave with the perfect texture every.single.time! It has no additives or preservatives and is sodium free, cholesterol free and gluten free. Each tray is just nutritious rice that you heat and eat or use in your favorite recipe.
Raid your fridge and pantry and serve up a batch of Ham Chowder for your family.