This post is sponsored by Smithfield. All comments and opinions are my own.
One of the most requested meals at my house is Chicken Cordon Bleu. My guys will ask for this meal at least a couple of times per month. I really can’t blame them for wanting this meal often. Face it, boneless, skinless chicken breast is pretty dull and can often be dry and tasteless. BUT, when you add Swiss Cheese and Farmland® Diced Ham, that boring chicken is completely transformed into something amazing!
I have a couple of different versions of this recipe…a baked version, one with sauce, a casserole version–lots of different options! The one I am sharing today is by far the family favorite.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe requires that you pull out a big skillet. In doing so you’ll end up with the taste combination that just can’t be beat. Chicken with a crispy crust yet still moist and juicy inside. One cut into the chicken yields melty cheese and ham and a taste that everyone loves.
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 oz Farmland® Diced Ham
- 4 oz Swiss cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- oil for frying
- Cut a slit or pocket into each chicken breast.
- Stuff 2 oz of Farmland® Diced Ham and 1 oz of cheese into the pocket.
- Close the pocket around the filling and seal the opening with toothpicks.
- Mix egg, mustard and milk in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl or plate, combine breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Dip the chicken in egg wash then roll into breadcrumb mixture, packing the crumbs onto the chicken.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet over medium low heat and fry the chicken until golden brown, 5 - 7 minutes per side, until cooked through and juices run clear.
- Serve warm.
Farmland® Diced Ham is my secret to serving up a fantastic meal without a ton of effort. The ham is fully cooked and comes diced and ready to go right from the package. It can be tossed in salads, omelets, casseroles or pasta for a quick and delicious way to add protein to your favorite meal.
Use it any time of day for all your favorite meals and recipes…breakfast, lunch or dinner! Here are a couple of other options to help you put your savings to use!