This post is sponsored by Branch: A Family of Farms . All comments and opinions are my own.
My guys all love cornbread. For the longest time, I only made it when I made soups, stews and chili. One day my oldest kiddo asked why I never made it with any other meal. I thought about it and really didn't have a good answer for him. That's what my mom did so I guess I just followed suit.
Now I make cornbread whenever I feel the urge. It's fantastic with chicken, pork or really just about anything. Plus since it only takes about 5 minutes to mix it up, it's a super easy side too. There is nothing better than a warm piece of cornbread with a little butter--YUM!
Now I don't always do just plain cornbread. I like to keep things interesting so I serve up recipes like this Bacon Cheese Cornbread. It's always a huge hit...who can pass up tasty cornbread with the surprise of crisp corn, bacon and cheesy goodness?
What's great is that it is just as simple to whip up as plain cornbread. You simply mix in a few extra ingredients before you bake and in about 25 minutes you have an amazing side dish. Just head into Publix and get a package of Branch Gourmet Extra Sweet Corn and a few additional ingredients and you'll are in business!
- 2 cups white cornmeal mix
- ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1⅓ cups milk (or 1½ cups buttermilk)
- 4 oz shredded cheese
- 4 pieces of bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
- 2 ears Branch Sweet Corn, cut from the cob
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to a cast iron skillet and place in the oven for 5 minutes to heat the oil.
- Whisk together egg, milk and oil in a medium bowl.
- Add cornmeal mix and stir just until combined.
- Gently fold in the cheese, bacon and corn.
- Carefully swirl the oil around the hot skillet to coat the bottom and then pour in the the mixture.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.
You'll find three tasty varieties of Branch Corn in the produce section at your store. Any of them will work beautifully in this recipe so just grab a pack next time you shop.
- Yellow - yellow kernels and offers an enjoyable sweet flavor. It can be boiled, grilled, roasted and even microwaved.
- White - white kernels with a gentle sweet flavor compared to yellow sweet corn. It is versatile and can be cooked in different ways such as boiled, grilled, roasted and microwaved.
- Bicolor - contains both white and yellow kernels. It is sweet and juicy and can be enjoyed boiled, grilled, roasted and microwaved.
Sweet Corn is Branch’s passion and has been their focus for over 60 years! Once you take a bite you'll be able to tell. You see, this is not your standard sweet corn that you have to shuck at home, this is the sweetest of the sweet that is hand selected exclusively for Publix. Simply open a package and it's ready to go. Perfect for all your favorite recipes or served as a simple side dish boiled with a little butter.