This post is sponsored by Veetee Rice. All comments and opinions are my own.
I get to enjoy a couple of holiday dinners this week…one with my family and one with my husband’s family. My family’s Thanksgiving was this past Sunday. My mom, my aunt and I started cooking early and had a tasty feast whipped up by lunchtime.
I really don’t mind spending the time cooking when the end result is a big table of happy faces! Of course we typically cook way too much food and end up with lots of leftovers. Now that doesn’t make me unhappy at all…I actually look forward to those leftovers! I’ll send some of it home with my family and the rest will be meals for several days afterward.
One of my absolute favorite things to make with the extras is a big pot of Leftover Turkey & Rice Soup. It’s super simple to make and tastes amazing. Don’t tell anyone but I might actually like my soup better than just the plain turkey!
With the quick convenience of Veetee Rice and a few key ingredients you can give a second life to your turkey leftovers.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 – 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups turkey, cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk or half & half
- 1 tray of Veetee rice
- Melt butter in a large pot.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook on medium high for 3 – 5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth, turkey, thyme, salt & pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the milk and Veetee rice.
- Adjust seasoning as needed and serve.
Remember, Veetee Rice has no additives or preservatives. With a shelf life of 12 months you can stock up and have a quick and easy meal starter that’s perfect on a hectic weeknight. Veetee Rice is ready in just two minutes from the microwave so it’s ready whenever you need it.
So when you are staring at all those holiday leftovers and not sure what to do…grab a pot and whip up my recipe. I promise you’ll love how easy it comes together. Make sure you add thyme and Veetee rice to your holiday shopping list and then come back and let me know how you liked the soup!
Here’s a coupon link for BOGO VeeTee rice: