Is your mouth watering yet? You guys might have noticed that I have a habit of making stuffed foods. Sometimes my "stuffed" recipes don't turn out how I imagine them in my head, but boy oh boy, my Bacon Wrapped Okra Poppers far exceeded my expectations.
As I wandered through the produce department the other day, the okra was calling my name. I had thought about doing some fried okra, but I just didn't want to deal with the mess that comes with frying. As I shopped, I saw the Farmland bacon and thought about wrapping the okra in bacon. I decided to take it a step farther and stuff that okra with shrimp and cheese AND then wrap it in the Farmland bacon!
I am a believer that everything is better with bacon. While I do like a slice of bacon in the morning, I find that I use bacon more often in my dinner recipes. Here are just a few of my favorite bacon recipes that I have shared -
- Turkey, Bacon & Cheddar Pull Apart Bread
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- Hot Shrimp Dip With Bacon
- BBQ Bacon Chicken Bombs
- Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Bacon, Mushrooms and Chicken
- Old Settlers’ Baked Beans
- Baked Loaded Potato Puffs
- Bacon Wrapped Teriyaki Chicken with Pineapple
Right now you can whip up my Okra Poppers (or any of my other recipes) at a great price thanks to the new Farmland bacon coupon over on the Publix Digital Coupon page. Head over and load your coupon and save a buck on your favorite Farmland bacon. Remember the bacon is a great deal in the upcoming Publix ad (starts 10/23).
Farmland Farmland Sliced Bacon, Applewood or Thick, 12 oz, 2/$7
-$1/1 package of Farmland Applewood Classic Cut or Hickory Thick Cut Bacon Publix Digital Coupon
Just $2.50 for a package of delicious bacon starting 10/23 (10/22 for some) - fantastic deal!!
Farmland bacon is slow smoked over real hardwoods for maximum flavor. For decades, they've taken pride in perfecting their curing and smoking technique – a difference you’ll taste in every delicious bite. I know you will love it and thanks to the coupon...so will your wallet!
As you can see, the ingredient list for this recipe is very manageable. Load your coupon then head into Publix and grab what you need. I asked my husband to rate this recipe and he declared my okra poppers were an 8 out of 10. That's huge considering there's a vegetable in the mix! He's my meat and potatoes guy--so to give an okra recipe that high of a rating just validates my opinion--these are so good!!
In addition to being tasty, they are so simple to put together. You simply mix up your filling, push it into the okra and then wrap with Farmland bacon. About 25 minutes in the oven and you'll have a tasty side or appetizer that everyone will devour!
- 1 pound fresh okra
- ½ cup cooked shrimp, chopped
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 pound Farmland bacon
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Mix the shrimp, cheeses and cajun seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
- Carefully cut each okra lengthwise down one side creating a pocket (do not cut through to the opposite side).
- Gently spread the pocket and stuff with the shrimp/cheese mixture - mounding on top of the okra.
- Cut the Farmland bacon package in half.
- Wrap each stuffed okra with a half strip of Farmland bacon - covering the filling and then place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 425º F oven for 20 - 25 minutes until the bacon is browned and cooked.
If you want a fun Halloween recipe, try my Spooky Bacon Wrapped Asparagus. Simply flip the asparagus over and use a knife to crosshatch the bottom to create the "hair" then wrap with Farmland bacon. Use a food color pen to draw a fun or spooky face. Bake in a 400º F oven for about 30 minutes and serve. It's amazing how quickly my kids will devour their veggies when they are festive!
This post is brought to you by the folks at Farmland bacon.