Today I have a super easy recipe for you guys that is something most of you can put together with what you have on hand – Tomato & Sausage Pasta Al Forno.
Seriously this recipe is so easy and the taste can’t be beat. You can make it with whatever protein you have on hand. No sausage – no problem…just use chopped chicken. You could also use ground beef, turkey or ground sausage. You could also just opt to do this without the meat. Heck if you are feeling adventurous you could also add in some spinach, mushrooms or other veggies in the sauce. I guess what I am saying…make this recipe work for you.
You guys probably have most everything you need in your pantry but with the super deal on pasta this week you can stock up!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz each
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 12 oz fully-cooked Italian sausage, sliced
- 16 oz box of pasta - I used a penne noodle
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese shredded
- ⅔ cup parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Cook the onion for 2 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add both cans of tomatoes, oregano, sausage, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the pasta while the sauce is simmering (according to package directions).
- Drain the pasta and toss in the pasta sauce.
- Lightly oil a 14"x9" casserole dish and put half of the pasta into the dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Add the remaining pasta mixture then top with the remaining cheeses.
- Bake in a 400º F oven for 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Canned Tomatoes – $2
Galbani Sorrento Mozzarella Chunk Cheese, Assorted Varieties, 16 oz, 2/$7 ($2.50 aftercoupon)
Sweet Onions, $1.29/lb
Garlic – 50¢
Barilla Pasta, Selected Varieties, 12 or 15 oz, BOGO $1.37 (5¢ for three boxes after coupons)
You’ll pay just $11.34 if you had to grab everything at the store. This one makes a ton of food so the price per serving is under $2!!