Welcome to this week’s Publix Super Meals. Each week I am going to share a recipe to help you take the Publix Super Deals and turn them into Publix Super Meals!
This week I am sharing a family favorite – Pizza Stuffed Chicken.
I have a habit of stuffing my meat. I am not sure at what point I decided that stuffed meat was better than plain, but I will admit that I do it quite often. I guess since my guys seem to like it, I’m going to keep it up.
Besides tasting great, stuffed chicken has a wonderful presentation. Folks think that you spent all day preparing and somehow magically getting all that goodness on the inside of the chicken. What’s great is that you don’t have to spend a ton of time in the kitchen. This recipe is super simple and you can pair it with a good salad and maybe some garlic knots and you are done!
- 1 - 1½ pounds chicken breast (depending on size you should get 6 to 8 cutlets)
- 6 - 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 6 - 8 oz sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- oil for frying
- marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken cutlets between sheets of wax or parchment paper and use a meat mallet to pound super thin (approx ⅛ inch thick). Be sure to pound the edges as thin as possible as it will help to seal the rolled chicken.
- Place 1 oz of pepperoni and 1 oz of mozzarella cheese in the middle of each pounded chicken cutlet.
- Fold the short sides of the pounded chicken over the filling then start at one end and roll the chicken until you have a tightly sealed mound. Repeat this process with all chicken cutlets.
- Create your breading station by placing the flour into a shallow dish, beaten egg mixed with milk in another shallow dish and breadcrumbs into a third shallow dish.
- Sprinkle each rolled chicken with salt and pepper then roll in the flour.
- Next dip the floured chicken into the egg/milk mixture.
- Finally roll the chicken in the Panko bread crumbs.
- Repeat this with remaining rolled chicken cutlets.
- Heat the canola oil in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven to about 325 degrees (about 1½ inches of oil needed in the pan).
- Place two cutlets in the hot oil and cook for approximately 3 - 4 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown (2 - 3 additional minutes).
- Remove to a baking sheet.
- Repeat this process for all chicken bundles.
- Place chicken into the 350 degree oven and cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Allow to drain and cool on a paper lined plate.
- Serve with warm marinara or pizza sauce.
Thanks to the BOGO sale on boneless skinless chicken at Publix you can make this one without breaking the bank!
Don’t forget, Publix carries a huge variety of Good Cook products. You can find a large selection of tools and cookware throughout the store. You can find everything you need when you shop for your ingredients.