Welcome to this week’s Publix Super Meals. Each week I am going to share a recipe to help you take the Publix Super Deals and turn them into Publix Super Meals!
Nothing was jumping out at me in the ad this week so I thought I’d share my recipe for Blue Cheese Sliders With Balsamic Onions. Everyone loves burgers right? I just love the tangy flavor of the blue cheese and onions with the sweetness of the buns. I like to do little sliders. They are a better size for my boys and they are also just more fun!
I almost never buy buns. Plus, it’s almost impossible to find a deal on slider buns…they are a rare find. It is honestly so easy to whip up a big batch of buns – there’s really no reason to buy them. This recipe is perfect for sliders, hamburgers and hot dogs. There is very little effort involved with these and they taste so darn good. Really you are just dealing with the time it takes to proof the dough. I typically throw together the dough in the middle of the day and then bake them off in the afternoon. When the guys come in to the smell of that delicious bread they jump for joy – they know what’s on the menu!
Give these a try and you may never buy buns again!
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (warmed to 100º F)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds or dried minced onions
- Mix sugar, salt, onion powder and yeast in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add the milk and whisk until the yeast has dissolved (10 - 15 seconds).
- Add one egg, butter and half of the flour to the mixture.
- Mix until there are no lumps.
- Add in the remaining flour a half of a cup at a time until the dough has formed and ready to knead. Note - you may not use the full 3½ cups.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 3 minutes.
- Place the dough into a bowl that has been lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise for 1½ hours (until doubled).
- Punch down the dough, reshape and then re-cover with plastic wrap.
- Set in a warm spot for an hour to double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cut the dough into 16 pieces and shape into balls.
- Beat the last egg with 2 tablespoons of water and lightly brush the top of the dough with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds or dried minced onions.
- Allow to rise for 15 minutes then bake on a 425ºF on a parchment lined baking sheet for 12 - 15 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Buns recipe adapted from My Kitchen Addiction
Pick up some Publix Ground Chuck for $3.49/lb and Sweet Onions at $1.49/lb plus a few pantry ingredients and whip up some burgers tonight.
Tools used in this recipe
Don’t forget, Publix carries a huge variety of Good Cook products. You can find a large selection of tools and cookware throughout the store. You can find everything you need when you shop for your ingredients.