Welcome to this week’s Publix Super Meals. Each week I am going to share a recipe to help you take the Publix Super Deals and turn them into Publix Super Meals!
Since we have BOGO chicken breast this week, you knew I was going to share a chicken recipe! I decided to make a family favorite – Chicken Kiev. This is a fantastic recipe that really is not too difficult to put together but it does take a little time. My guys love this recipe and I have to admit I am a huge fan as well. Ok…so it’s chicken stuffed with flavored butter -it’s not exactly diet friendly but every now and again is not a bad thing. I can typically get 4 servings from two chicken breasts. I make my own thin cutlets then pound those babies super thin.
The butter makes the chicken super tasty and oh so tender. That combined with the crispy crust makes this a fantastic dish. The stream of butter than oozes out is perfect with rice and green beans – YUM!
The key to this recipe is making sure you pound your chicken breast as thin as possible. Pounding the edges super thin is really the key. If they are super thin they will really wrap and hold everything without using toothpicks. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.
By the way…I listed the recipe to serve 8 because I always make enough for another meal. We will only need 4 breasts for one dinner but these are great to pop in the freezer and then reheat for a quick and easy meal in a pinch!
- 4 chicken breasts (cut in half lengthwise to make 8 cutlets)
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅛ cup water
- ½ cup four
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- Canola Oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the compound butter by mixing butter, garlic, salt, lemon juice and parsley. Place the butter on a sheet of parchment paper and create a log.
- Roll the butter log and wrap tightly by twisting the edges.
- Place the butter in the freezer to chill (about 20 minutes).
- Place chicken cutlets between sheets of wax or parchment paper and use a meat mallet to pound super thin (approx ⅛ inch thick). Be sure to pound the edges as thin as possible as it will help to seal the rolled chicken.
- Place 1 tablespoon of chilled compound butter in the middle of each pounded chicken cutlet.
- Fold the short sides of the pounded chicken over the butter then start at one end and roll the chicken until you have a tightly sealed mound. Repeat this process with all chicken cutlets.
- Create your breading station by placing the flour into a shallow dish, beaten egg mixed with water in another shallow dish and breadcrumbs into a third shallow dish.
- Sprinkle each rolled chicken with salt and pepper then roll in the flour.
- Next dip the floured chicken into the egg/water mixture.
- Finally roll the chicken in the Panko bread crumbs.
- Repeat this with remaining rolled chicken cutlets.
- Heat the canola oil in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven to about 325 degrees (about 1½ inches of oil needed in the pan).
- Place two cutlets in the hot oil and cook for approximately 3 - 4 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown (2 - 3 additional minutes).
- Remove to a baking sheet.
- Repeat this process for all chicken bundles.
- Place chicken into the 350 degree oven and cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Allow to drain and cool on a paper lined plate.
- Serve - gently cut chicken to release the buttery goodness.
Don’t forget, Publix carries a huge variety of Good Cook products. You can find a large selectionof tools and cookware throughout the store. You can find everything you need when you shop for your recipe ingredients.