Welcome to this week’s Publix Super Meals. Each week I am going to share a recipe to help you take the Publix Super Deals and turn them into Publix Super Meals!
With all the great prices at Publix this week you had to know I was going to whip up some lasagna. Now this is not your basic lasagna…this is the “Best EVER” Homemade Lasagna!
This is the recipe I make to take to housewarmings, new baby meals and the like. My guys love this recipe and will devour it. I shouldn’t tell on my husband… but, he had 3 servings for dinner this week–tee hee. I like this recipe because it is delicious AND it makes enough for at least two meals. Even with my husband digging in this week, I still had half a pan of lasagna that I froze for later!
Don’t be intimidated by the length of the ingredient list. You really just dump the majority of the items in a pot and let the sauce simmer for a while. The actual assembly of the lasagna only takes about 5 minutes. I typically make this the day before I serve it. I think it tastes so much better when the sauce has had time to allow the flavors to combine.
- 1 pound italian sausage
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 12 oz can tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 32 oz ricotta
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 oz parmesan cheese, grated
- Place sausage, ground beef, garlic and onion in a large pot. Cook until meat is browned. Drain.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, basil, parsley, sugar, oregano, fennel, salt & pepper and allow to simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Boil lasagna noodles for 8 minutes and drain. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix ricotta with egg and nutmeg.
- To assemble the lasagna - spread 1½ cups sauce into the bottom of a 14x10 baking dish.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles on top of sauce then cover with ½ of the ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle with ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers twice more and top with the parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. (Spray foil with cooking spray to help prevent it from sticking to the cheese)
- Remove from refrigerator about 1 hour before baking.
- Bake the foil covered lasagna for 45 minutes in 375 degree oven.
- Remove foil and bake for additional 15- 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
You may have a bunch of these items in your pantry. Grab these from the sale this week at Publix (see Happy report & “Make Your Home Italian Tonight” for the coupons) and you can put this together at a great price…plus you will be able to feed an army!
Del Monte Tomato Sauce, 8 oz, BOGO $0.
Tuttorosso Tomatoes or Tomato Sauce or Puree, 28 to 29 oz, BOGO $1.99
Jennie-O Turkey Store Italian Sausage, 19 oz, $3.99
Sorrento Fresh Mozzarella 8oz $3.49 (reg $3.99)
Mama Francesca’s Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz, 2/$6
- Classic Dutch Oven With Lid, 5qt
- Nonstick Lasagna & Roast Pan, 14″ X 10″
- 3 piece Mixing Bowl
- CUTTING BOARD, PLASTIC 10″ X 15″
- Handy Grater
Don’t forget, Publix carries a huge variety of Good Cook products. You can find a large selection of tools and cookware throughout the store. You can find everything you need when you shop for your recipe ingredients.