October 10, 2013
Welcome to this week’s Publix Super Meals. Each week I am going to share a recipe to help you take the Publix Super Deals and turn them into Publix Super Meals!
With the BOGO on pork chops you guys had to know that I’d be doing something with those. So this week I am sharing my recipe for Pork with Caramel Apples & Onions. My guys love this recipe – my picky boys will clean their plate. Over the years I have learned to add more apples and always serve it with stuffing. I always add in a green veggie – this week it was roasted zucchini chips. I went to the Chattanooga Market last weekend and came home with a bunch of goodies. I didn’t want them to go bad so we have had zucchini a couple of times this week– tee hee. I wish I had put them in the picture because that plate definitely needs a splash of color…while not bright and beautiful, this is a fantastic dish.
Here’s the recipe -
- 4 Boneless Pork Loin Chops
- 3 – 4 apples, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup Vidalia (or other sweet onion), sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
- 1- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- chopped pecans (if desired)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in large skillet.
- Season pork with salt. Add to skillet and cook for 4 – 5 minutes, flip and cook an additional 4 – 5 minutes (until golden brown).
- Remove pork and place in oven to keep warm (I set mine at 175 degrees).
- Add onions and about 1 teaspoon butter to the pan and cook for 10 -12 minutes until they begin to caramelize.
- Add apples and juice concentrate, cover and cook 2 – 3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Remove lid, add 4 tablespoons of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and to apples and onions.
- Cook 2 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add a splash of heavy cream and stir until combined.
- Plate pork and top with apples, onions and sauce. Sprinkle with pecans if desired.
Add these to your Publix shopping list this week and you can put this meal together at a fantastic price!
Publix Boneless Pork Loin Chops, BOGO $4.99/lb
Red Delicious or Gala Apples, $1.29/lb
Sweet Onions, $0.99/lb
Don’t forget, Publix carries a huge variety of Good Cook products. You can find a large selectionof tools and cookware throughout the store. You can find everything you need when you shop for your recipe ingredients.