Products for this recipe sponsored by Good Cook
Welcome to this week’s Publix Super Meals. Each week I am going to share a recipe to help you take the Publix Super Deals and turn them into Publix Super Meals!
With the price of smoked sausage being only $1.50 after coupon in the new Publix ad, I knew that I wanted to do something with it. We have had so much rain I didn't want to chance planning a grilled recipe. I decided to go with one of my favorite meals that I can put together lickity split - Shrimp & Sausage Jambalaya.
This is one of those recipes that anyone can make. It's one of those one pan wonders that come together with almost no effort. This recipe is very versatile. Some times I do chicken and sausage. Other times I might do chicken and shrimp. This time, I had some Hillshire Farms smoked sausage in my fridge and some Publix shrimp in my freezer so that's what I went with.
You can also adjust the heat as needed. My boys don't care for this dish so I set some sausage aside for them and was able to kick this up a bit. My husband likes it spicy so I didn't hold back. I think he was sweating when he finished eating. Don't worry, my recipe below is fairly tame and even suitable for those with a sensitive palate.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can tomatoes 14.5 oz + juice
- 10 - 12 oz smoked sausage
- ½ pound shrimp
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if desired)
- ½ teaspoon cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven.
- Add bell pepper, onion and celery and cook 3 -4 minutes until tender.
- Add garlic, rice, tomatoes, broth, spices and smoked sausage and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for 18 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook an additional 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Adjust seasoning as needed and serve.
Here are the matching sale items to help you put this dish together at a great price. I am going to bet that you guys likely have most of the ingredients on hand. Add a few items and you will definitely put this one together for under $10!
Medium White Shrimp, 41 to 50 per pound, $6.99/lb
Eckrich Polska Kielbasa, or Smoked Original Sausage, 14 oz, or Smoked Beef Sausage, 13 oz, 2/$5
Swanson Chicken Broth 14.5 oz can In-Ad Manufacturer’s Coupon
- Cutting Board, 10? x 15 1/2 “
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- "Classic" Dutch Oven with Lid
- “Classic” Nonstick Sauce Pan
- Non-Stick Chef’s Knife
Keep in mind that Publix carries a huge variety of Good Cook products. You can find a large selection of tools and cookware throughout the store. Be on the lookout as you shop this week.