This post is sponsored by Tillamook, All comments and opinions are my own.
If I had my way, I would have some sort of Mexican or Southwestern dish every day of the week! The foods and flavor combinations make me very happy. Naturally, I look for any excuse to add my favorite meals to my menu each week.
My guys aren't quite as fanatical about Mexican/Southwestern foods, but they do have a few favorites that I can sneak into the meal rotation pretty frequently. Tacos and burritos are among the foods that are always a welcome addition to the dinner table. In an effort to ensure that my family doesn't get bored with these foods, I try to shake things up as often as possible.
Some weeks, I will modify our usual taco night by serving taco salad or a taco casserole. And instead of basic burritos, I like to kick it up a notch and let everyone build their own ultimate burrito bowl. DIY Burrito Bowls are a quick and easy way to put a dinner on the table that makes everyone happy. I just put out all the tasty ingredients and my family can fill their bowls with the foods that they like best.
DIY Burrito Bowls are also great on a busy weeknight. When I am short on time, I don't bother pulling out pans to cook rice or quinoa. Instead, I will toss a couple of trays of heat and eat brown rice with quinoa in the microwave and my time spent actual "cooking" is down to about 2 minutes. Then, all that is needed is to whip up some fresh salsa, put out tasty veggies and shred some delicious Tillamook Cheese.
Skip the drive thru and choose real food to bring your family together at the dinner table. Look for everything you need at your local Publix and put this tasty DIY Burrito Bowls recipe on your menu this week.
- 9 tomatoes, diced
- 1½ red onions, diced
- 6 jalapeños, seeds & stems removed, diced 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 3 limes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups tri-color quinoa
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeds & stems removed, diced
- ½ lb (2 cups) Tillamook Colby Jack Cheese, grated
- ½ lb (2 cups) Tillamook Medium Cheddar, grated
- ½ cup of scallions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 container sour cream
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cook brown rice and tri-color quinoa according to packaging instructions.
- Open and drain beans and corn. You can heat the beans on the stove top or serve them straight out of the can! Put beans, corn, and veggies in individual serving bowls.
- Gather your family members to build their own burrito bowl with the grains, beans, grated Tillamook Cheeses, along with sweet corn, red onion, lettuce, red cabbage, avocado and jalapeño.
- Garnish each bowl to your family’s liking with scallions, cilantro, sour cream and your homemade salsa. Finish it off with a squeeze of lime juice and dig in!
Look for great tasting Tillamook Cheese in the dairy section at your local Publix. You'll find a variety of loaf cheeses and two different varieties of snack cheese. The recipe calls for Colby Jack and medium cheddar...but you can mix it up and use the cheeses that YOU like best!
Find all these tasty options at all Publix locations -
- Tillamook Medium Cheddar Snack Portions
- Tillamook Sharp White Cheddar Snack Portions
- Tillamook Medium Cheddar 8oz. Loaf
- Tillamook Sharp Cheddar 8oz. Loaf
- Tillamook Vintage Extra Sharp White Cheddar 8oz. Loaf
- Tillamook Colby Jack 8oz. Loaf
You'll feel good bringing home Tillamook for your family. Tillamook Cheese makes all your recipes taste great and is perfect whether you are cooking, snacking or entertaining. Enjoy award winning, real cheese made with real ingredients.
Learn more about dairy done right at Tillamook.com or @Tillamook in Instagram.