This post is sponsored by Pinnacle Foods. All comments and opinions are my own.
I make all kinds of cookies for holiday gatherings, cookie exchanges and to give as holiday gifts. I am usually baking up a storm all season long. When it's just me and my boys in the kitchen, the cookie that we choose is a simple rolled sugar cookie. The recipe is easy to make and yields a buttery, sugary cookie that everyone loves. BUT, the real magic comes in when it's time to decorate!
Just grab your favorite cookie cutter and let your imagination go! Use sprinkles, icing, frosting, candies and more to create the ultimate holiday treat that is sure to put a smile on everyone's face.
For my recipe, I choose Smart Balance® Buttery Sticks. The sticks help create a light and airy texture with that delicate buttery taste that you expect in a sugar cookie. The buttery sticks are perfect in this recipe and so many other holiday recipes that you'll be making over the next couple of weeks!
Smart Balance® Buttery Sticks. are extremely versatile and great for baking and cooking. They are firm out of refrigeration and can be whipped, creamed, melted and used like butter...but with 50% less Saturated Fat than butter!
- Supports healthy cholesterol levels that are already within the normal range
- 300 mg ALA per serving
- 0g trans fat
- Great for Baking & Cooking!
- Dairy Free
- 50% less Saturated Fat than Butter
Pick up a package of Smart Balance® Buttery Sticks and raid your pantry for a few ingredients and you are on your way to sharing some holiday cheer AND great taste!
Smart Balance products offer great taste and support healthy cholesterol levels that are already within the normal range1. So it's the smartest choice for a happy (and healthy) heart! Plus with all the different varieties available at Publix, you can get just what your recipe calls for. Whether you need a spread or a stick--there is a Smart Balance® product that's perfect for all your baking needs this holiday season!
- ¾ cup Smart Balance® Buttery Sticks, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar for rolling
- Icing, frosting, sprinkles, etc for decorating
- Cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough overnight (or for 2 - 3 hours)
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Knead the dough for 30 seconds before rolling.
- Sprinkle a few teaspoons of powdered sugar on parchment paper, add the dough and top with another sheet of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough to ½", remove the top parchment sheet and cut into shapes.
- Remove any excess dough from your shapes and transfer the set of cut cookies (WHILE STILL ON THE PARCHMENT PAPER) to a cookie sheet and bake approximately 6 minutes or just until the edges begin to brown.
- Gently transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before decorating.
1The right blend of fats may improve your cholesterol ratio when at least 2/3 of fat intake comes from this product or our Food Plan; limit fat to 30% of calories and saturated fats to 10% of calories. Limit cholesterol to 300mg/day. Avoid foods with partially hydrogenated oil. Exercise regularly.