This post is sponsored by Breyers. All comments and opinions are my own.
I love a treat of cake and Breyers ice cream. But when you combine that tasty Breyers Ice Cream WITH cake, you get something spectacular.
Since we had a couple of little girls stay for with us a few days not too long ago, I wanted to make something special…with them in mind. So I came up with a dessert that I knew would make them smile—a colorful and absolutely delicious Unicorn Ice Cream Cake Roll!
While it may look like it would be difficult, it’s really quite simple. I made my basic sponge cake recipe, divided into 5 bowls and added some food coloring to make fun “unicorn” colors.
I considered swirling the colors but the girls thought stripes would look better, so we went with unicorn stripes. I have to say, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar
- food color
- 1 liter Breyers Strawberry Ice Cream, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line 15x10x1-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Add your eggs to a medium bowl and beat on high speed until very thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar a little at time and then beat in water and vanilla on low speed.
- Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt, beating just until batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter into five plastic bags and add food coloring to each to achieve the desired colors.
- Cut a hole in the bottom of each bag, one by one and squeeze each color side by side into the prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately after removing from oven, use a butter knife to gently loosen cake from sides of pan and then turn the cake upside down onto towel generously sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper and while the cake is hot, carefully roll cake AND towel together from the short end. (The towel will be rolled with the cake)
- Place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Unroll the cake and spread the softened ice cream over top of the cake and then scatter sprinkles on top of the ice cream. Re-roll the cake (without the towel this time!) and wrap in foil. Place in the freezer until set, approximately 2 - 4 hours.
- Cut and serve.
- Store any uneaten cake in the freezer.
Once the cake was done, I went through the typical process that you would do for any jelly roll/cake roll. I sprinkled my towel with powdered sugar and rolled the towel WITH the cake and allowed it to cool.
Once it was cool, I unrolled the cake and instead of using jelly or frosting, I used Breyers Strawberry Ice Cream that I had let soften slightly.
When I had a layer of that tasty ice cream on the cake, the girls decided it needed even more unicorn bling! So I added some sprinkles and rolled the cake up and popped it in the freezer to allow the ice cream to refreeze.
After a couple of hours, we sliced the cake and it was absolutely amazing!
Head into Publix where you will find all your favorite Breyers Ice Cream on sale buy one, get one FREE! Have plenty on hand for milkshakes, sundaes, stuffed in a cone, in a bowl and for delicious recipes like my Unicorn Ice Cream Cake Roll. Breyers Ice Cream is delicious no matter how you serve it up!
Remember, all of your favorite Breyers Ice Creams are made with fresh cream, sugar & milk. Youʼll get amazing taste no matter which variety you choose.
The folks at Breyers start with only high quality ingredients. Their dairy is all American and their milk and cream come from cows not treated with artificial growth hormones (the FDA states that no significant difference has been shown between dairy derived from rBST-treated and non-rBST-treated cows). Their colors and flavors come from natural resources. And their vanilla and fruit are real and sustainably farmed. They have been serving up quality since 1866. Find out more information about the Breyers pledge at www.breyers.com.