Now, I do like meatballs but I have to change them up a bit so that I don’t get bored. Sometimes we do meatball subs, then there are my Sweet & Sour Meatballs, my Blue Cheese Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and even Meatball Stromboli. Today I am sharing another great meatball recipe that is always a huge hit at my house – Turkey Swedish Meatballs.
This recipe is just a basic meatball but with the addition of Allspice you get that distinctive Swedish Meatball taste. I opt to do mine with ground turkey as I think it offers a great texture that goes great with that creamy sauce.
This is also a quick recipe. You can start your rice or potatoes and then start up your meatballs and everything will be done at once. Steam up some veggies and you have a delicious dinner without a ton of effort.
This meal is part of the Publix Menu Plan For the Week Of 5/8 to 5/14 (5/7 to 5/13 for some). Here are the other recipes I have shared this week:
- 20 oz package of ground turkey
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and cook the chopped onion for 2 -3 minutes - until translucent. Remove from pan to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add turkey, Panko, egg, cooled onions, allspice, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ tablespoon of pepper to a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Form 1" meatballs and roll until rounded.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in your large skillet and cook the meatballs for about 8 minutes, turning to cook on all sides.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter and whisk in the flour.
- Cook the flour for about a minute and then add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and cook on medium high.
- Whisk the sauce while you cook for about 3- 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in the sour cream and heavy cream.
- Add the meatballs and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.
(2) Jennie-O Turkey Store Ground Turkey, 20 oz, $3.99 ($6.98 after coupon)
Mahatma Rice, $1.07
Publix Baby Cut Carrots, 16 oz, 4/$5