Coupon Question And Answer – Best Of Ask I Heart Publix 12/4

December 4, 2013

Publix QA 2 Coupon Question And Answer   Best Of Ask I Heart Publix 12/4

We’ve been answering questions for Ask I Heart Publix for over three years now, and we’ve definitely found that some questions keep popping up as new couponers write in. So every month we’re going to feature a “Best Of” Ask I Heart Publix, where we post some of our favorite questions and answers from past weeks, months, and years.

Don’t worry….we’ll still be answering the new questions you guys send in, too, so keep sending in those questions! Just remember if we didn’t get to your question this week…we will do our best to cover it another week!!

Don’t forget to look under the “About” tab where you can find the questions and answers from past weeks!

Here are this week’s “Best of” questions:

1. When is the best time/day of the week to shop at Publix when the shelves are usually fully stocked?
  2. How does the Publix Penny Item work?
  3. How many times a week do you shop, and on which days?
  4. Every time I use a lot of coupons, the cashier misses some. How can I be sure they are all counted?
  5. How can I figure out what percentage I’ve saved?

And here are the answers!

1.Christy wants to know: When is the best time/day of the week to shop at Publix when the shelves are usually fully stocked?

Christy: This will depend on your store, of course – you might want to ask you managers when the shelves are generally restocked – but for the most part, I’ve found that early morning (7 – 9 am) or later in the evening (7 – 9 pm) during the week are the best times to find fully-stocked shelves (and, as a bonus, it’s much easier to get in and out quickly, too).

Michelle:  It will vary based on the store’s delivery schedule.  Most stores get multiple trucks each week so I find that they are constantly re-stocking!  I typically shop on Monday mornings and they are always busy restocking in many departments.

2. Niki wants to know: How does the Publix Penny Item work? Why isn’t it a penny in my store?

The Publix Penny Item is a customer incentive –basically a promotion to get you in the store.  Each week there is a coupon in the newspaper that will allow you to purchase the designated item for just a penny with a $10 purchase.  Florida does not participate in the promotion–my guess is that they don’t need to offer the incentive as they are top dog in Florida :-)  The date of the penny is the same day that your ad begins.  Here in Atlanta my ad begins on Thursday so that is the day that I can score an item for a penny.

3. Malinda wants to know: How many times a week do you shop, and on which days?

Christy: I generally shop at Publix twice a week – once over the weekend to grab any really hot items I think might sell out early in the sale (and also because I’ve noticed that I find the most blinkie/tearpad coupons, MIRs, and booklets during the day on Saturday or Sunday), and (if I have time) again during the week towards the end of the sale. I also shop every Sunday morning at CVS and Walgreens to get their cheap/free items and my Sunday papers. [Christy edited 12/4/13: HAHAHAHAHAHA. I have a 13 month old now, and I'm lucky if I can manage to shower AND make it to ONE store on Sunday. No more "multiple stops and trips" for me…at least, not until my kiddo gets a bit older. icon smile Coupon Question And Answer   Best Of Ask I Heart Publix 12/4 ]

Michelle:  I usually shop on Monday morning as that is generally when I need to replace the basics like milk & bread.  Monday is also the only day that I don’t have to take the boys to an activity so I can go at my convenience.  I try to only shop once per week but if there is a hot deal I might make a second trip icon wink Coupon Question And Answer   Best Of Ask I Heart Publix 12/4

4. Holly wants to know: Every time I use a lot of coupons, the cashier misses some. How can I be sure they are all counted? I organize them very well, but the printed coupons tend to stick together which I think may be part of the problem.

Michelle: I rarely step up to checkout before I am completely organized!  I have all of my coupons organized and in a little bag ready to go before I even walk in the store!  I have all the like coupons together and I actually hand them to the cashier in sets while verbalizing the coupons…EX–”Here are four coupons for Juicy Juice”.  I then make sure the coupons are scanned by keeping an eye on the screen.  I do this to make sure that the coupons are counted but also to make sure I am using the correct coupons.  If an item I had intended to purchase was not available I will be able to pull that coupon as I filter through my stack.  I also shop with a spreadsheet so I usually know what my total should be…if there is a big discrepancy I can check my receipt before I leave the store

Christy:  This can be a problem, especially if you hand all your coupons over at the beginning of the order. What I do is make sure I know the total number and total amount of all the coupons I hand over. That way I can watch the monitor to make sure my total has reduced by the appropriate amount. If I think there’s been a mistake, I check the receipt before leaving the store and talk to customer service about it; they will almost always refund me the amount I’m due right then and there.

5. Keyonda wants to know: How do I figure out my percentage saved?

I am lazy so I use an online calculator like the one HERE.  But you can also do it manually:  First, add the total amount spent out of pocket with your amount saved – this is the total value of your purchase. Then, divide your amount saved by the total value, and multiply the answer by 100.

I hope our answers to these questions were helpful! Make sure you ‘tune in’ next week for even more Q&A with I Heart Publix. If you have a question you’d like to see answered, email me at contactiheartpublix@gmail.com.

Comments

13 Responses to “Coupon Question And Answer – Best Of Ask I Heart Publix 12/4”
  1. Lori says:

In answer to #4, I put the coupons on top of each item as I load them onto the belt at checkout. That way the cashier can easily see that the coupons do match what I am buying, plus if it is a BOGO coupon, the cashier can easily write in the value of the coupon. I have gotten several compliments from the Publix employees saying this way is much easier for them.

• LJ says:

The Publix stores where I shop in SW FL. will not allow this method. I think it would be the easiest way to match up coupons with product but they say no way.

• squeaker says:

I have some cashiers at my store that insist on this method. Of course, then again, these are the same cashiers that really seem to dislike couponers. I have one who’s line I try never to get in. She nitpicks my coupons and makes me jump through all kinds of hoops in order to get them scanned. I’m lucky if all I have to do is place the coupons on top of each item.

2. Valerie Way says:

When I’m preparing my list and coupons, I crumple all my coupons just a little so that they don’t stick together (I’m careful to stay away from the bar codes while doing this). Also, like Christy, I know how many coupons I’m using, what my discount should be and what my total should be. (that gets difficult when I decide not to buy certain items when the price isn’t what I expected tho).

• maddie says:

that’s what i do with my coupons too, crumple the corner of the coupon.

as for #3 – the community where i live there is publix & riteaid, i can get there in 5 minutes by walking or by golf cart.but i try to limit it once a day, going to work in morning or going home in the afternoon.

3. tnjcent says:

I hand coupons over to the cashier after everything has been scanned. I have mentally tallied what I will be saving for each item and what the item will cost. Hand over coupons in sets…manufacturer’s, competitor’s, and store coupons last. I criss cross all coupons and lay one set at a time after I watch her scan each coupon in each set. I then push my cart out in the vestibule(out of the way of incoming and out going shoppers)and study my receipt for 2-3 minutes.I catch any mistakes in pricing or coupons and if so, go back in to customer service.

4. Peggy says:

I, too, crumple up my coupons, staying away from barcodes. Just like new money, they won’t stick together as much. I try to find the cashiers who will allow me to hand them over 2 or 3 at a time and stay away from cashiers who want them all at once. I’ve seen cashiers who want them all at once drop a coupon or pick up 2 at a time. I separate store coupons, competitor coupons, free coupons and manufacturer coupons. Watch store and competitor coupons carefully as you won’t hear a beep as they are scanned.

5. Alicia Salagubang says:

Ours also will not allow us to place them on each item. I shop with a spreadsheet also where I note what coupons I have and how much my total should be. I place items on the belt in the order they are on my spreadsheet and the coupons are in the same order. I watch fairly closely and check my total. If the balance is way off I question it. If it’s a dollar or two I usually just cut my loss. Once I get to the car I’ll do a quick double take as well.

I’m also shopping with and 8 month old and usually have to get in and out quick so I tend to do 2-3 small trips each week. Usually Wed, before the sale ends. Thurs, start of new sale to grab freebies before they are all gone, and then Sunday or Monday if I need anything around the house. If it’s a really good week for coupons I might do one evening and leave the baby with the husband but it’s kinda rare that I buy that much.

6. PAMELA says:

I wish we could watch as the clerk processes each coupon. So many times, I have found errors. For example, last week, I used the $10/50 Target and 6 winn Dixie…I saw the clerk put aside the $10 off target, and he went to work on the rest. He told me he was grouping the WD, and I did find 3 entries of $10.00 for a total of $30. But I did not see the individual $10.00 target. I had a ton of coupons too, so the transactions were really hard to keep up with. Noticed it at home, so had to go back.
    Another thing I wish could be corrected by Publix, is the placement of the computer screens. I can’t see what the clerk is doing with the coupons and their own piles they make, unless I walk almost where the bagger stands. Very frustrating!

7. Dave says:

I am forced to make several smaller trips per week to use my $5/$30 Winn Dixie coupons. My store claims the Publix policy on those is 1 per customer per day, though reading the comments I have concluded that’s not entirely true. With the smaller orders it is easier to keep track of the coupons I gave to be sure they all were rung up. Thankfully there’s a Publix right around the corner from me.

8. Thom says:

#4
    I have already counted how many coupons I have in total. I then hand them over 4-6 at a time. This way I can count the happy beeps that I hear and see the dollar amount on the screen. This way I can easily catch any that might have been missed.

9. gerrie says:

When I go shopping I am always fully prepared before I get to the checkout line. My husband knows to not talk to me because I’m concentrating on the prices and which coupons have scanned. I always look over the counter and count how many coupons I have for each product.