Coupon Question and Answer – Ask I Heart Publix 9/4

September 4, 2013

Publix QA 2 Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 9/4
If you have a question about couponing at Publix, this is the place to find the answer! Each week my buddy Christy and I have a little coupon question and answer session here on Ask I Heart Publix. Keep sending in those questions – we love to answer them! Just remember if we didn’t get to your question this week…we will do our best to cover it another week!!

Remember–there is a tab at the top of the site under “About” titled “Ask I Heart Publix” where you can find the questions and answers from past weeks!

Here are this week’s questions:

1. Do Publix Digital Coupons adjust in value depending on how many I buy?
  2. Do ibotta offers adjust in value depending on how many I buy?
  3. Did the purchase requirement on the Gas Card coupon change?
  4. Can I use a $X/$XX coupon along with the gas card coupon?
  5. My store told me they can take manufacturer’s coupons within a day or two of expiration…is this true?

And here are the answers!

1.Melissa wants to know: Do Publix Digital Coupons take into account how much you buy? For example, if the coupon is $1/$3 and I am buying 6 of that item, will it deduct $2 from my total bill?

Christy: To the best of my knowledge, you can only use the Publix digital coupons once per account. Commenters, have you had a different experience?

Michelle: I have only had them come off one time no matter the quantity I purchase. the following is from the FAQ on the digital coupon site: “The number of times a coupon can be used is up to the manufacturer, but most coupons can be used only once.”

Any of you guys had luck getting them to come off more than once?

2. Melissa also wants to know: I have the same question about ibotta – Is the savings for 1 item purchased only, or is it multiplied by the amount you purchase (Save $1 if you buy 1, buy 5 – save $5?)

This one is definite – you can only redeem the ibotta offers once. The only exception is if the same offer pops up for you again after you have completed a redemption – at that point, you can take advantage of the offer again.

3. Katie wants to know: I noticed that the gas card coupon in the upcoming ad requires a $50 groceries purchase….is that new? I thought that it used to just be $25?

Christy: I believe it’s been at least six months or so since Publix changed the wording on this coupon. I miss the $25 requirement too :), but I’ll take any savings I can get!

Michelle: Yep…the change happened a while back. Then they also limited it to the weekend. Like Christy said…some savings is better than none!

4. Jenn C wants to know: I have a question about the gas card deal. Can I use a $5/$30 Winn Dixie coupon and a $10/$50 Publix Gas Card coupon on one order of $50?

Per the Publix Coupon Policy: “The order total must be equal to or greater than the combined purchase requirements indicated on the coupon(s) presented.”

So some stores will require you to  spend at least $80 in order to use a $5/$30 Winn Dixie Coupon and a $10/$50 Gas Card coupon. Other stores may see the coupon “attaching” to the gas card and not as a total purchase coupon. You will need to ask your store how they choose to interpret the coupon combination.

5. Allie wants to know: Up until last week, I’ve always been able to use Publix coupons within a day or two of expiration. But last week my store told me they could no longer accept expired Publix coupons at all. Then they told me that they COULD accept expired manufacturer’s coupons as long as it was only a day or so after expiration. Did I just run into an Customer Service Manager who was misinformed…or does this sound correct to you?

Christy: This sounds a bit odd to me. From what my stores have told me, it is at their discretion if they choose to take Publix coupons within a day or two of expiration. But I always thought that Publix would not get reimbursed for manufacturer’s coupons if they were redeemed after the expiration date. The next time you shop, you might want to talk to a manager about this and get some clarification.

Michelle: I think this one will vary by store. This is one that you will have to confirm at your store. As Christy said, you might want to take to a manager. It could be that the customer service person was a bit confused. My old store would accept Publix coupons a few days expired but NO expired manufacturer’s coupons at all.

I hope our answers to these questions were helpful! Make sure you ‘tune in’ next week for even more Q&A with I Heart Publix. We are really running low on questions to answer, so if you have a question you’d like to see answered, PLEASE send it in!! Just email me at contactiheartpublix@gmail.com.

Comments

18 Responses to “Coupon Question and Answer – Ask I Heart Publix 9/4”
  1. Susie says:

My Publix will not take any expired coupons except on a rain check. They will accept both up to one week past expiration if you have a rain check for the items. Then again, I think the policy varies from store to store.

2. Wendy B. says:

The digital coupons only work one time for me also.

3. Ashley G says:

I don’t really like the Publix digital coupons… I’ve found that when I use them AND paper Qs (Say, for example, I buy 3 boxes of Tampax, have 2 paper coupons for 2 of them and a digital coupon for the 3rd) the digital coupon won’t come off at all. It seems like it “sees” that I’m using paper Qs for that item and it won’t work regardless of whether I only have paper for some of the items. For me, anyway. I’m very careful to not plan on counting on the digital Qs if I also have paper for that item. :-/

• Wendi says:

I have started printing out the digital coupons that I’ve loaded when I plan on using some. If one doesn’t come off, I just show my list and my store will take it off manually.

• Ashley G says:

Yeah, I’ve seen people do that, but I don’t always think to check, unfortunately. It’s just easier for me to use the printed or inserts. Unless they start giving us REALLY good ones on digital! :)

• sis2 says:

I was having trouble with my digital coupons not coming off. Finally figured out that you have to tell the cashier that you have digital coupons so that they hit “tender” at the end of the transacation or otherwise the coupons won’t come off. I didn’t realize that they had to hit an extra button. Now, once I ask at the end, if I have any digital coupons, they hit that button and they come off.

I have had digital coupons “double dip” sometimes. Most recently this happened when Publix also had an in ad Publix Q for $3off2 J&J items. I had loaded a $1.50 off 2 Johnson and Johnson products as well as a 75cents off J&J baby powder. Since one of the items I bought was powder, it actually took off the $1.50/2 as well as the 75 cents coupon. Also sometimes if I am using a paper coupon that is $1 off of 2 items and I have loaded a cents off 1 coupon, it also comes off sometimes.

• JenJenJen says:

That is exactly what the system does(at least in FL anyways). i called their Corporate Customer Service number once about this to get clarification because I was buying 4 items and I had 3 paper manuf coupons and 1 Publix digital and it would not take the digital coupon because I had already used 3 manuf coupons. The lady told me that with the digital coupons, they limit how many things you can get in one transaction. Someone gave me the suggestion of doing a separate transaction for ONLY the items that I have a digital coupon for and paper coupons put in another. I have tried that and it works (with the exception if the deal is a BOGO deal)!

4. Laura says:

I noticed while shopping on 8/1 that 2 of my manuf coupons were dated 7/31. I asked the cashier if it was okay & was told if they still scan it’s fine. They scanned so he let them go through. I’ve had the same experience at Kroger.

5. Tarin says:

AS far as the expired coupons go, publix sends coupons out in a batch weekly. Publix takes expired coupons providing they expire with in that “batch”. Manufactors give retailers a certain grace period for shipping coupons to them for redemption. That is why they can take expire coupons with a couple of days and still get paid.

6. Amy says:

Regarding rain checks and expired manu coupons from Publix’s website…

Q: What if I have a rain check and a coupon for an item, but the coupon is now expired, though it was valid on the date the rain check was issued. Can I still use the coupon on the item?

A: Yes, Publix will accept the coupon that was valid on the date the rain check was issued.

7. blythe says:

When we had the big sale for Gain, I didn’t shop in time for the Gain and there I was Sunday night with 20 expired MQ’s… I’d even shopped on Saturday but didn’t feel like getting the Gain, so I went to my Publix and asked the store manager if I could still use them, and he said that as long as they scanned, and they did. He also said they would scan up to 2 years after expiration… Don’t know if he knew what he was talking about, but I got my Gain!

• Chris says:

most manufactures will allow retailers to redeem coupons for reimbursement up to 180 days. It takes time to process, so they really shouldn’t redeem after 90 days.

8. Pam says:

I just reread the Publix coupon policy on the Publix website. It states and I quote “•Dollars-off-total-order coupons will be limited to one Publix and one competitor coupon per orderyou can use one” So I would think that the Publix 10.00 off 50.00 gas card when you buy 50.00 in groceries should be able to be paired with a 5.00 off 30.00 Winn Dixie coupon.

• Shelly says:

Please read the gas card coupon. In the past the coupon has been 10 off a 50.00 gas card as long as you have purchased 50.00 in groceries. The 5.00 off 30.00 Winn Dixie coupon is off a grocery purchase. You would need a minimum of a 50.00 grocery purchase and a 50.00 gas purchase to use both.

9. Bob says:

Without a doubt, if you plan to use a $5/$30 WD coupon and a $10/$50 Publix gas card coupon (or $10/$50 AMEX coupon), your total should be at least $80. This is in all of the Publix policies, and has been addressed multiple times on their Facebook page.

10. Peggy says:

One of the local stores will take coupons up to a month after expiration date. Each store does something different.

11. Chris says:

something to realize as a couponer that will help understand why stores put limits and such. We all know that manufacture coupons are reimbursed to the store and they love this kind of coupons at Publix. Publix coupons for manufacture items usually are reimbursed to Publix if the cashier uses the LU# correctly and if the coupon IS NOT expired. Publix takes a loss on all competitors coupons, $$ off Total coupons, $$ off Gas coupons, and most publix brand item coupons (like PQ-$1 off Publix ice cream, etc). So remember those Target coupons and $5 off $30 Winn Dixie coupons are an immediate loss to the store and that’s why there are limits on the use of those coupons.

12. Sharlene says:

Today I left my favorite Publix in tears. I’ve never had a bad experience at Publix until now. I’ve only been couponing for 2 months now and it’s a learning process that I’m having fun with. I previously learned from a cashier at Publix to separate my orders to meet the one competitor coupon per item in one transaction requirement. So this morning I had 4 separate orders. The cashier said, “oh no honey you don’t need to separate your orders at this Publix”. I said, “I have quite a few competitor coupons”, and she repeated what she’d said before. After checking out all my groceries in one transaction she started giving me back competitor coupons saying, “I can only take one of these”. In a very friendly voice I said, “Uh oh,that’s what I was asking about before when I had my orders separated.” Before I could finish my sentence she interrupted, loud enough for everyone at the other registers to hear, “I wouldn’t accept it anyway, you can only have one, it doesn’t matter how many transactions you have.” Everytime I tried to speak she would say this louder and with an abrasive tone. If only she had listened she would have heard me say, “I didn’t know I was only allowed one. Thank you I’ll keep that in my mind cause I aim to comply.