Coupon Question and Answer – Ask I Heart Publix 9/25

September 25, 2013

Publix QA 2 Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 9/25
If you have a question about couponing at Publix, this is the place to find the answer! Each week my buddy Christy and I have a little coupon question and answer session here on Ask I Heart Publix. Keep sending in those questions – we love to answer them! Just remember if we didn’t get to your question this week…we will do our best to cover it another week!!

Remember–there is a tab at the top of the site under “About” titled “Ask I Heart Publix” where you can find the questions and answers from past weeks!

Here are this week’s questions:

1. I have two Publix Digital Coupons loaded to my account – how do I control which one I use?
  2. Do you have any idea how to avoid color printing on a Mac?
  3. Does anyone have any tips for printing SmartSource and Redplum coupons from my Mac?
  4. Can I do a Upromise One or Many Offer twice and get two deposits?
  5. Now that Kroger has stopped doubling coupons in so many areas, do you think Publix will stop doubling too?

And here are the answers!

1.Amanda wants to know: I just started using the Publix digital coupons and about a week ago I ran into an interesting situation. I had clipped two Huggies coupons to my virtual wallet, one for $1.50 off one pack of diapers and one for $5 off two packs of diapers.

I purchased two packs of diapers, but when I punched in my phone number, the $1.50 off one coupon was deducted from my bill. Obviously, I wanted to redeem the $5 off two coupon. I explained the issue to the cashier, but I don’t think she understood and said she couldn’t do anything about it since the digital coupons were handled automatically.

After checking out, I went to customer service and they refunded me the extra amount of the coupon, so the problem was solved in the short term. But how do I avoid this situation in the future? And how does the system decides which coupon to use when multiple digital coupons could apply: expiration date, lowest value, highest value, etc?

Christy: This is a good question…and I’d love to know the answer! icon smile Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 9/25 I might guess that the coupon you loaded first might deduct first…but that is a total guess. If there are any experts out there, I’d love to hear what you guys think!

I know I’ve read in the comments that there are people who print out or email their list of digital coupons to themselves so they can refer to the list in the store. That might be a good idea – not only so you don’t forget which coupons you have loaded, but also for a situation like this. It’s always nice to be able to take care of the problem right after you check out.

Michelle: In all honesty…I have no idea! Digital coupons seem to be a bit hit or miss for me. This weekend I noticed that a digital coupon came off when it shouldn’t have. I had paper coupons for the crescent rolls I purchased and got an additional 50¢ deduction. I have come to see digital coupons and a maybe but not a definite.

Maybe there are readers out there who have more to add to this one?

2. Cindy  wants to know: For Mac users – how do you print in black and white on couponing websites like coupons.com and redplum.com? I used to be able to do it by pausing the print job and printing through “preview” but now I can’t seem to do that anymore. So, I’ve been printing my coupons in color which eats up a lot of ink and color ink is not cheap. Any ideas?

Christy: Based on what I’ve read, this should depend on your printer. IF you are getting a pop-up Print menu when you click “Print” on Coupons.com or Redplum, try playing with the drop-down boxes in that pop-up menu – look for something titled “Print Settings” or even “Color” and change the setting to black & white or grayscale from there.

If you click “Print” on those coupon pages and your printer just spits out a color page without any pop-up menu, then you should check the manual for your printer. (If you don’t have the physical manual, you should be able to google and find it online.) There should be something in the manual about how to change to black  & white or grayscale printing.

Michelle: Yep, Christy is right – the print is not based on the computer settings it is based on the printer settings. Just open up your printer software and modify it to black and white or grayscale. You will just have to remember to reset it when you need something in color.

3. Christy wants to know: If we have any techies out there – do you have any tips for how to make my Mac play nice with Java so I can print SmartSource and Redplum? I’m missing out on a lot of deals because I can’t print. (I’m using OS X 10.7.5, if that helps.)

Christy: This is my question. icon smile Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 9/25 I have updated Java from here to eternity and have tried every browser configuration….nothing works! I was able to print SmartSource coupons for about 4 days a month or so back…and then it stopped working again. ANY help is appreciated!

Michelle: Ok…me too…me too! I can typically use Firefox to print RedPlum and other grumpy coupons. BUT–SmartSource is my nemesis. I am using OS X 10.8.5.

4.  Jesse wants to know: I have a question about Upromise One or Many offers. If the offer is a $5 deposit when I spend $20 on a particular brand, I’m wondering….can I can get a $10 deposit if I spend $40 on that brand?

Christy: Unfortunately, no. One or Many offers are limited to one per person, so you can only get a single deposit when you buy the required item. Always remember to have your cashier scan your Publix Upromise card at checkout so that you get credit for your purchases!

Michelle: That would be nice wouldn’t it. Like Christy said you are limited per person…but there is nothing saying that your significant other can’t get in on the deal too icon wink Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 9/25

5. Becky wants to know: I’ve seen that Kroger has stopped doubling coupons in a number of areas. Do you think Publix will do the same?

Christy: I’m going to defer to Michelle here – she’s the one with the experience with double coupons. I certainly hope that Publix will keep doubling for all you guys that can currently count on double coupon savings!!

Michelle: You know I really hope not. Personally I think this gives Publix a HUGE advantage. Grocery stores are very competitive and this is a great way to set them apart. I can tell you that the Kroger folks are not loving the supposed new prices that were supposed to replace double coupons. Most folks are looking to other stores and finding other options to save (yes according to my folks on I Heart Kroger, they are just price matching at Walmart – yikes!) I hope Publix keeps double coupons, it really does make them much more appealing to shoppers–especially Kroger shoppers icon wink Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 9/25

I hope our answers to these questions were helpful! Make sure you ‘tune in’ next week for even more Q&A with I Heart Publix. We are really running low on questions to answer, so if you have a question you’d like to see answered, PLEASE send it in!! Just email me at contactiheartpublix@gmail.com.

Comments

30 Responses to “Coupon Question and Answer – Ask I Heart Publix 9/25”
  1. tammi says:

I’ve tried forever to get my macbook to print in b/w, but it still will not no matter what settings I change. My desktop computer that prints to the same printer prints in b/w. So I know it’s more than just changing a setting on the printer for the printer I have. I have an HP laser printer.

• Contessa says:

I always have printer set to b/w just to save ink. I use the same printer for both desktop and laptop.

I have the exact same problem as Tammi – my desktop will print in b/w and my laptop only prints in color. I have switched browsers and I have tried changing the print settings until I am blue in the face (LOL). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer on the laptop and then even having a computer person come and look at it. So I definitely know it is something more than changing the settings on my printer for me.

• Contessa says:

ps: read maddie’s tips below and I have tried going to file ->print like she says and I still cannot get the dang laptop to print in b/w. I do have the HP suite installed and can change settings on my control panel. I love the HP suite for doing this.
        I will try her tips again though!

• Judy says:

I have two computers hooked up to the same printer. I had to change the Printer Software on each computer to get them to print B/W. (Each of your computers has it’s own printer software loaded on it ad each needs to be changed.)

2. brande says:

As far as the digital coupons, the cashier can cancel specific digital coupons. I ran into this problem the other day where I had paper coupons that were better than the digital coupon and she went in and cancelled the digital coupons that had been redeemed on my transaction and then scanned the paper coupons. (the cashier was not aware she could cancel them at the time and gave it a shot and it worked – so we both learned something that day). Not sure if they can do the same with two digital coupons, but wouldn’t hurt to ask.

3. karen says:

On the digital Qs, I believe they take the one with the nearest expiration date if there is a choice. If you’ll notice, they even list the Qs in your file by expiration. So if I have two but the better one has a longer expiration time, then I’ll remove the other one from my file.

• Jenn says:

Karen, do you mean you remove/delete a previously clipped digital coupon from your My Coupons list? How do you do that?

• D says:

Same question as Jenn – how to delete a digital Q? I’ve got two that are similar & I just know the wrong one will come off when I go through the checkout. (I didn’t see the better one until several pages after I loaded the first one)

• Sandy says:

I would also like to know how you remove them for your file. I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this for months and nobody seems to know the answer.

• Wendi says:

Yes, please share how to remove digital coupons!

• Valerie Way says:

Just an FYI (for all the ?? under this comment)…I sent Publix an email about removing the digital coupon from my queue and received the following…

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your interest in the Publix Digital Savings program! The option to “Unclip” a coupon that you have previously clipped is not available. Once the coupons expire they will come off of the account automatically. We do apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

For any further questions please call 1-866-486-4292
      Or email to publixsupport@inmar.com

Thank you for contacting Publix Digital Savings Consumer Care.

Jennifer B
      Consumer Relations Representative

4. maddie says:

Some printers have a control panel to change the printing preferences but some may not.

My mac prints to a home network printer, and I didn’t install those hp suite application, so I did not have the printer control panel.

I am not sure what I do is the best way but it works for me.
    First thing is to create a printing Preset.

- Let say you open a safari or firefox, go to File > Print.
    - When the print dialog box opens, there is a preset list below the printer list.
    - Click on the preset list and select Paper Type/Quality
    - Click the triangle icon next to Color Options (lower left of the dialog box) to expand settings.
    - Select color field as grayscale
    - Select either Black only or high quality (i think) in the grayscale mode field.
    - Then click the Present list again and Save current settings, you will then enter the name of the preset.

That’s creating of the preset part…

——

Now on to printing lol…

When I have selected all my coupons for printing, I go to File > Print.
    In the Print dialog box, I make sure that the preset I created above is the selected preset, if not then I select it, then i click cancel to close the print dialog box.

Then now I will click the print button on the coupon website.

I tried to set my preset as default preset but I don’t sometimes it does not work, that is why I make sure my preset is the selected present before i print my coupons.

It works for me this way all the time, I hope it works for you.

• maddie says:

edit: I tried to set my preset as default preset but I don’t know sometimes it does not work, that is why I make sure my preset is the selected preset before i print my coupons.

5. Fort Myers says:

The digital coupons still seem to be very much hit or miss so need to be considered a ‘work in progress’. I was astonished a few weeks ago to have digital coupons apply to my order for two items I did not purchase that day but had purchased the previous week when the digital coupons did NOT work. I don’t think it remembered that it ‘owed’ me those coupons because that day it also gave me credit for an item I have never purchased at all. At this point I clip all digital coupons, put in my phone number after my paper coupons have been credited and am delighted if I get anything. Until the system is perfected and smarter I am not counting on it at all except for the occasional ‘bonus savings’.

6. Wendy B. says:

I called Publix to try & cancel a coupon myself, & they said you can’t. I don’t know about the cashiers having that ability.

7. Valencia says:

I actually spoke with customer service yesterday. She told me that 1, you cannot unclip a coupon and that it is on there until it expires. 2, if you have two coupons for the same item, they do not know which will come off first. She said it is up to the manufacture of the coupon but she did say they were trying to get a universal policy on that. 3, she said the system still has quite a few bugs that they are trying to workout.

8. Judy says:

On doubling coupons: I used to live near Denver where stores doubled coupons every day, and tripled occasionally. They ALL decided to stop doing that. One store stopped, the others followed. If one store does not double, the other stores don’t have to compete by doubling. They compete for business in other ways (sales, promotions, better pricing…).

Coupons don’t double where I am now. :(

9. Judy says:

I don’t even punch in my phone number, at checkout, because all of that is too confusing right now. I decided to try and figure it out, so I’m always looking for clues. I’m glad the question was posted.

• Valerie Way says:

I felt that way too, until a cashier told me to wait till all my paper coupons had been scanned and then punch in my phone number. I like that because all I have to worry about is loading the coupons and then punching in my number at the end.

10. Judy says:

Red Plum and SmartSource Coupons don’t print for me — and I do not have a Mac. They both stopped months ago. (SS, after the last Java update.) I, too, miss so many deals because I can’t print them — like Best Meals at Home. :(

• Wendi says:

Ever since that Java update, I have to clear my browsing history before it will let me print those coupons. Have you tried that?

• Valerie Way says:

Try firefox or google chrome browsers to print them. They are both available for the pc and mac. I use firefox to print on my mac so hopefully they would work for a pc too.

11. ambra says:

in answer to the first question, if you have print coupons, give that to the cashier first. then after all those have been applied, then put in your telephone number for your ecoupons. that’s the only way to work around it. my store, when publix ecoupons first started, were really good about making sure you had printed coupons first before you entered your number in.

12. D says:

I’ve had major issues with both SmartSource & RedPlum – they both insist I don’t have the latest Java (the Java site shows that I do have the latest) on both IE & Firefox. Highly frustrating…

13. Maria says:

I don’t know if this will sound silly or if this is not supposed to be done, but to print in b/w I just take out the color cartridge and print.

14. Missi says:

The digital coupons have gotten better, though. I was able to load the $1/1 Kraft Mayo coupon from my phone while I was in the store today. I was planning to use it on my regular trip this weekend. But I needed mayo today, so I picked one up. To my surprise, the coupon was there when I entered my number at checkout!…WOO HOO!

15. Ubiquitous says:

I wish I could be more specific, but I recall someone wrote a comment about how to remove a clipped digital coupon but I don’t remember how it was done and never had the chance to try it.

16. Michelle Margotta says:

How many times is the digital coupon good for?