August 22, 2013
Products for this recipe sponsored by Good Cook
Welcome to this week’s Publix Super Meals. Each week I am going to share a recipe to help you take the Publix Super Deals and turn them into Publix Super Meals!
Since figs are BOGO I could not resist making one of my favorite pizzas of all time – Caramelized Onion & Fig Pizza. Many moons ago I had a similar recipe at a restaurant with some dear friends…you know the days before children when I was able to visit restaurants that don’t hand you crayons when you walk in the door.
A few weeks after having the pizza I tried my hand at it. It really is a very simple recipe…caramelized onions, figs, goat cheese and a balsamic glaze. While I couldn’t duplicate the taste of the stone hearth baking method…my pizza is pretty dang close to the restaurant version. With the sales we have this week at Publix, it’s also about half the price!
Now before you guys start turning your nose up…you have to give this recipe a chance. Even my meat and cheese pizza loving husband will eat this one. He calls it frou frou pizza….but still cleans his plate
- pizza dough (store bought or recipe HERE)
- 2 large Vidalia onions (or any sweet onion)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pint fresh figs, quartered or thick sliced
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2½ tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 ounces goat’s cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Melt butter in large saute pan and cook onions on medium for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and continue to cook an additional 10 minutes until golden and caramelized. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If using a pizza stone, place in oven to preheat.
- Place shaped pizza dough on lightly oiled pizza pan or peel (if you will transfer to a pizza stone)
- Brush olive oil over dough.
- Spread caramelized onions over dough followed by figs.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- While pizza is baking, cook balsamic vinegar and 1½ tablespoons of sugar over medium-low heat until slightly thickened (about 10 – 12 minutes)
- Once pizza is done, drizzle balsamic reduction over pizza and serve.
Grab the BOGO figs and pizza dough plus add a few pantry staples and you can whip this one up for less than a take out or what you’d pay at a specialty pizza place!
Figs, 16 oz, BOGO $5.99
Publix Pizza Dough, BOGO $2.79
Don’t forget, Publix carries a huge variety of Good Cook products. You can find a large selection of tools and cookware throughout the store. You can find everything you need when you shop for your recipe ingredients.