GoodNites Under Cover Mission

July 29, 2013

This post brought to you by GoodNites. All opinions are 100% mine.

jake pjs GoodNites Under Cover Mission

Bedtime at my house means the same routine almost every night.  The boys get a bath, have vitamins, read (or tell) a story and then one last visit to the bathroom. That’s followed by goodnight kisses and lights out. Nothing fancy but that routine helps the boys settle down so they can get the rest that they need.

When I was little, bedtime was often an unhappy time because – I wet the bed. I remember trying so many things to avoid an accident but at least a couple of times a week, I would awake to find that I had wet the bed. It was embarrasing and a lot of work. Having to help change sheets was not my idea of fun as a little girl. Back in the 70′s there weren’t any options available. I remember one night in particular where I was invited to a sleep over party. I didn’t sleep the whole night for fear that I’d have an accident and be embarrased in front of all of my friends .

Many parents are unaware that bedwetting is a developmental condition (called nocturnal enuresis) and is not something a child can be trained out of.  There’s also evidence that there is a hereditary component to this condition. So, I was not surprised when one of my boys had issues staying dry at night. Jake potty trained very early and never had issues in the day time. However, nighttime was a different story. We looked for ways to manage his bedwetting and found that limiting his fluid intake helped tremendously. If he is cut off from all liquids by 7 pm he typically stays dry all night. But, we all know that things happen…baseball runs past 8 pm, sleepovers, late dinners. There are lots of things that can throw us off track. That’s where GoodNites come in.

LDCSeIH GoodNites Under Cover Mission

GoodNites Underwear are the most absorbent pants for boys and girls ages 4 and up. Specially made to protect while lying down, they help keep pajamas and bedding dry all night long and feature plush comfort with a discreet design. GoodNites Underwear help them maintain a sense of privacy and self-esteem until your child outgrows bedwetting. Thanks to GoodNites Underwear, there is no stress about wet sheets.

What I love is that they are very discrete. You can’t tell the difference between the GoodNites Underwear and regular underwear under pajamas. Jake can wear them at a sleepoever and no one even knows.

Learning how to manage bedwetting can cause stress between parent and child that ultimately impacts the child’s self-esteem and confidence. 43% of parents incorrectly believe they can train their kids out of bedwetting. GoodNites wants to educate parents on the important differences between potty training and bedwetting so they will know if their child is experiencing the condition and can provide them with the best solution to keep them dry, comfortable and confident.

jake sleep GoodNites Under Cover Mission

Jake doesn’t use them all the time but we both love having them available just in case. I like not having to deal with washing sheets and Jake knows that an accident is not the end of the world. I think they have increased his confidence and more often now when we do use them, they are totally dry when he wakes up. He’s a very active, growing boy – a good night’s sleep is a very important thing!

Are you and your child ready to take the GoodNites challenge? Sign up for the undercover mission on the GoodNites Facebook page. Just  use the code 8675 to enter. You could win some great prizes including Undercover Mission spy gear like night vision goggles, spy walkie-talkies or a Kindle Paperwhite. Plus, you’ll automatically be entered for a chance to win the grand prize – an overnight trip for four with a secret mission leading to an undisclosed location in Los Angeles!

GoodNites Under Cover Mission

Comments

20 Responses to “GoodNites Under Cover Mission”
  1. Laney says:

Just curious, how old is your Jake? I have a son that too potty trained early & never had or has daytime accidents. He is so frustrated about the fact that he can’t seem to wake up at night to use the restroom. I feel so sorry for him, but it doesn’t seem to matter what we do, he still has nighttime accidents. I’m thankful for Goodnites but still wish he’d outgrow this! Anyone have any insight not what age kids usually outgrow this?

• Michelle says:

It can really vary so much…Jake is 7 and is doing great IF we cut off all liquids by 7 pm.
      He just does not wake up –I mean at all. I want to say I was like 7 or 8 before I quit wetting the bed. It really is not something that the kids can control…I have tried very very hard to not make Jake feel bad about the accidents. I remember how bad it felt :-(

2. Linda says:

I went through the same thing as a child. I wet the bed until I was about 8 or 9. My daughter did great with potty training at 18 months but still at 7 years old has occasional accidents. She knows not to have a lot to drink at night and that helps. I am about to start potty training my son that just turned 2 and will have to wait and see if he has the same issues at night.

3. tammi says:

I was wondering if there was anyone who is on the other side of the fence? I’ve trained three boys – just got my third trained about a month ago. With each one we did the same process and each of them were fully trained for day and night in 2-3 days. For each boy we waited until just after they turned 3 and then did it cold turkey for day and night……I just made sure to clear my schedule so we were home that entire time. All three boys still haven’t had any night time accidents. I have friends that went right to the pull-ups at night and now have created a habit where their kids will just go in the pullup instead of holding it or getting out of bed.

• Michelle says:

You can learn more about Nocturnal enuresis here —–> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturnal_enuresis

It seems that your kids did not have that problem – that’s great….but please understand that this is not a learned behavior. While there may be some kids who have had lazy parents for MANY others this is not the case. Children are very different and what works for some will not work for others. Please don’t assume and/or associate this condition with lazy parenting!!

• tammi says:

Just wanted to clarify I’m not referring to children who have nocturnal enuresis.

4. Bethany says:

We love goodnights at our house and the goodnights bed pads as well. I have two boys that share a full size bed (their choice) and both of them (ages 3 and 6) still have accidents at night. Like you said cutting off fluids, etc. will help and if my husband or myself are up late working we’ll wake them in the middle of the night to go pee but if they have an accident it’s just something we deal with and move on with life.

I wondered if my kids were just being lazy about going in the pull ups or goodnights at one point and we attempted (very unsuccessfully I might add) to go a few months without them for my oldest and he still had accidents a couple nights a week. He is such a sound sleeper he just does not wake up and there is nothing we can do about it. My brother and my husbands sister both wet the bed when they were younger as well and the pediatrician said that some kids don’t outgrow it until around age 9. Therefore, there are bigger battles to fight in my life so we just go with it and take precautions to help them sleep. If we have to wash sheets a few times a week or spend the money on goodnights or pull ups then so be it. In the grand scheme of things it’s not that big of a deal!!!

5. Ashley says:

I have a 10 year old that wets every night no matter what. He never has accidents during the day. My six year old, however, has never had an issue with this. My doctor assures me there is absolutely nothing wrong with my son and that he will eventually just grow out of it. He is Not lazy. It s completely humiliating for him. Just have to be patient and be thankful for Good Notes.

6. Rachael says:

My son was 5 and still wetting pull ups every night. We got a bed wetting alarm. It’s a little box that clips to their shirt and a tiny wire with a clip that clips to their underwear (then put a pull up over the underwear) and the second it gets wet, the box starts beeping. It helps them wake up when they start to go. It’s good because they can’t use the pull up on purpose and also give you an idea of how long they can hold it. He was making it until about 3 a.m. So i guess his bladder was almost big enough. Thankfully he was old enough to get to the bathroom himself and change, so it didn’t mess with my sleep too much. Two weeks of it and he started staying dry. It’s been a year and he’s only had 2 accidents since. Always an option if you’re desperate!!

7. Giselle says:

My 6 year old used to have accidents at night when he was younger after being potty trained but he quickly grew out of it. He would wear the pull ups for a week and if could stay dry then he would go back to his underwears. It didn’t really take long to get him to stop wetting his bed at night. We’ve had a couple big moves, one last year and again this year and he again started to have accidents. I bought the goodnites and only had to use 3 of them before he was back to himself. I think with all the changes he was having a hard time adjusting. He’s had an accident or 2 since but it’s bound to happen if he forgets to go potty before going to bed. We don’t make it a big deal as he already feels bad but I remind him that he needs to remember to go potty before going to bed.

8. cathy says:

My son is 8 and still wets at night. When he has No fluids past 6 or 7 he is dry, but life happens. His doctor prescribed medication, but she said to becareful because if he drinks and takes the meds it can have negative side effects. well, without fluids we seem to be ok…. his dad was the same way as a kid.

9. Sue says:

Shortly after my youngest son was born, my older son (almost 8) started wetting the bed. We thought that sub-consciously he was looking for attention For months, regardless of what we did, nothing helped. This went on for several months. Then he got tonsillitis. (This was not the first time.) So, we finally set an appointment with the surgeon to have them removed. During our pre-surgery visit, my son asked the doctor if he would have to stay overnight in the hospital, and looked at me as if he desperately needed my help. I told the doctor of his problem, and he nonchalantly said “Well, don’t worry, this will take care of that.” I was astounded and asked him how that could be. He said that bed-wetting just seemed to go along with bad tonsils. Well, we had the surgery and the problem did go away! I would never have believed it if I hadn’t lived it! This is absolutely true. The surgeon did say that his tonsils were really bad.

10. Mercy says:

Believe it or not, I actually used them when my then 2 1/2 yr old would not fit in regular diapers–he was a very big boy (like a mini linebacker, he was so wide) It was the most expensive 6 months of my life LOL Thank God he trained pretty quickly when he turned 3.
    Goodnights were a blessing because pull-ups are not made that big.

11. Brigitte says:

My son just turned 6 this month. We potty trained him for day time to start and he learned that pretty quickly. We left him in diaper/pull ups at night. I thought it was best not to try to do both day and night at the same time, maybe I was wrong.

He wets the bed at least 1x a night. It is better when we limit his liquid intake but he is a night owl and likes to stay up late and of course gets thirsty. It is very frustrating because he still sleeps with us. He has a brand new bed in his room but I don’t want him to ruin his mattress. We use the bed mats but go through at least 1 a night. I have been reading about the alarms and might give them a try. He just sleeps right through it. Either myself or hubby are the ones that wake up because we notice he is wet.

12. Beka says:

My oldest is almost 4 and I was wondering when the night time potty training happens. Than you all for your encouragement! One of my close friends & I were just talking about this last night! Now I’m not feeling like she’s “behind” in potty training. And thanks Michelle for being so open about your family! Jakey is such a cutie!!

13. Lori says:

My son just turned 7 and we are finally out of the goodnites. He only wears them when we are out of town. We have found making him go every 30 minutes in the 2 hours leading up to bedtime made a huge difference. He would go some nights dry some wet for about 2 years.