Publix Frugal Focus – Buying & Using Sirloin Tip Roast

June 13, 2013

beef Publix Frugal Focus   Buying & Using Sirloin Tip RoastEach week I thought it might be fun to focus on one frugal concept. It might be something from the ad, a tip from a reader or really anything. If it has a frugal focus that might help someone…then I’ll try to feature it.

This week I thought we’d talk about buying and using a sirloin tip roast.

So many people are intimidated when they see a cut of meat that they may not typically purchase. For a long time I never really bought the cuts of meat that I did not understand. I was afraid that I wouldn’t know how to use it or end up cooking it wrong. I was missing out on some great cuts of meat AND some awesome deals.

This week Publix has Sirloin Tip Roast priced at $3.99/lb. This is a great cut of beef that can be used in all kinds of recipes and at under $4 per pound, it’s an awesome deal.

Sirloin tip is a great meat for roasts, stews, stir frys and kabobs. You can do so much with this cut and it is very budget friendly. Whether you roast it, grill it, or throw it in a stir fry, it’s a great cut that is full of flavor and will not break the bank!

You may notice that there are three different prices on sirloin in the ad this week -

• Sirloin Tip Roast, $3.99/lb
  • Sirloin Tip Steaks, $4.29/lb
  • Top Sirloin Kabobs, $5.99/lb

The steaks and the roast are basically the same thing, one is just a smaller cut. The top sirloin kabobs are from a slightly different area of the cow. I have found that with a good marinade I can get a great kabob from the tip roast without the extra cost of using top sirloin!

The great thing about the sirloin tip roast is that it is a very lean cut of meat. That means you are not throwing money away on a bunch of fat that you have to trim away. So when you shop this week, consider that big sirloin tip roast and you’ll get a great cut of meat at a great price!

Being able to feed my family while staying in budget is one of my most important jobs. I have been doing it for a while and at this point and I think I am pretty good at it. Now, that doesn’t mean I know it all – I learn something new everyday! So, that’s where you guys come in. I would love for you guys to send me in any tips, ideas or email me with areas that you need some help.

Comments

15 Responses to “Publix Frugal Focus – Buying & Using Sirloin Tip Roast”
  1. Tara says:

Thank you for sharing this. My son (9yrs) asked me the other day while at Publix what a specific cut of meat was. I could not answer him at that time. This will be a wonderful pic to show him and he will enjoy it! Thank you for all you do!!

2. Brooke says:

Thanks for this post. What is your “go to” marinade for getting the Tip Roast ready for great Kabobs?

3. Hayley says:

Thank you! This is a useful and informative feature.

4. Lila says:

Nothing really to do with saving money but since we are talking about sirloin: I have been reading that grilling meats especially the cuts that have more fat on them does something to the fat that increases the risk of cancers, but we don’t have to give up the grill, we just have to pick the meats that are more lean and turn them on the grill more often, and the sirloin cut was mentioned as the best cut of beef to avoid the risk. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor, so I might be wording my sentences wrong, but I do remember that the sirloin was spoken of as a better part of beef. It also said something about the chicken too, but unfortunately I can’t remember.

• Laura says:

Yes, I have heard this too. If you marinade it I believe it cuts the risk though.

• Melissa says:

Not to sound sarcastic but what doesn’t cause cancer. If you believe everything you read what’s left? No meat, only organic, vegan is the best, don’t leave your filtered house, where a gas mask, etc… You know where I’m going with this. Do the best you can do, be the best you can be, and live your life. But if you want to be 110 have fun with that. Cocktail Time!

5. Laura says:

@Brooke,I love this marinade for sirloin tip steaks or kabobs :)
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 -5 garlic cloves, crushed
    Salt pepper to taste

The sirloin tip is my favorite, plus it makes a great roast for the crockpot.

6. Melissa says:

I would love to hear about how everyone cooks this cut of meat. I use a chuck and it’s moist and tender, but any other cut seems to come out dry and chewy. If you do use it as a kabob how long are you marinating the meat? I’ve always used top sirloin for kabobs.

• Lana says:

Sirloin is a cut that can turn out dry. I typically skip sirloin for roasting. Bottom round usually turns out pretty well. I would marinate for 30-60 minutes.

• Michelle says:

I marinate for a couple of hours and the marinade depends on what I am cooking. One of my go to marinades is the one I did here on the pork – http://www.iheartpublix.com/index.php/2013/05/publix-super-meals-peanut-butter-thai-noodles-with-pork/

You can really make up your own – you just need an acid (lemon/lime juice) with some oil and spices…just think of the tastes you enjoy.

As for dry meat…it’s all about the preparation and cook time. So often people overcook meat and forget that during the meat’s rest time – it will continue to cook. This meat has very little fat so you have to make sure not to overcook it or it will definitely be dry! cook to med rare or med and allow to rest.

7. Donna says:

Can you ask the butcher at Publix to cut this into kabobs for you?

• Melissa says:

You can but why? Sorry for the rest of you reading this post. I just don’t understand the comment unless you don’t have a knife.

• angie says:

Not to have a discussion and maybe you are not the same Melissa from the above comment about cancer, maybe its time for someone to start their HAPPY HOUR before anyone else – HAPPY FRIDAY and thanks Michelle for all of your great tips.

8. Kristie says:

This cut(sirloin tip) makes the best roast beef. I buy a 2-lb uniform thickness piece and season it allover(my family likes garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper). Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Cook roast for fifteen minutes. Turn off oven. Do not open oven door for 1 hour. I repeat do not open the oven door. :-) So easy. Usually makes enough juice for aujus as well.The roast comes out perfect almost every time, kinda depends on the thickness of the meat. Serves 4.