Publix Coupon Policy Revised

April 8, 2013

publix coupon policy Publix Coupon Policy Revised While I was adding the digital coupons to the ad this morning, I noticed that the Publix coupon policy looked a little different.

I know some of you have been very worried about changes in the coupon policy at Publix. You might be interested to see that they have made a few updates to the Publix coupon policy.

I don’t see any huge issues but I will let you guys check it out and let me know what you think.

Here is what it now states:

Publix accepts manufacturers’ coupons (limit one per item), Publix coupons, valid Internet coupons, and coupons from nearby competitors identified for each Publix store. (Competitor names are posted at each Publix store.) All coupons must be originals—no copies.

• We will accept coupons from competing pharmacies for prescriptions only.
  • We will not accept percent-off-items or percent-off-total-order coupons.
  • We will only accept coupons for identical merchandise we sell.
  • Acceptance is subject to any restrictions on the coupon and we reserve the right to limit quantities.
  • Manager approval is needed for individual coupons above $5.00.
  • For a buy-one-get-one free (BOGO) offer, each item is considered a separate purchase.
  • We will not accept coupons presented via a mobile phone or device.
  • We will accept a manufacturer’s coupon and either a Publix or a competitor coupon on the same item.
  • Digital offers cannot be combined with manufacturer paper coupons on the purchase of a single item.
  • Dollars-off-total-order coupons will be limited to one Publix and one competitor coupon per order.
  • The order total must be equal to or greater than the combined purchase requirements indicated on the coupon(s) presented.

You can also see the policy Q&A which addresses specific scenarios.

So, what do you guys think? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Comments

150 Responses to “Publix Coupon Policy Revised”
  1. Kelly says:

Sounds pretty standard. I’m sure most of us expected a revision when they introduced the digital coupons.

2. Hayley says:

So with the digital coupons, does that mean we can’t use a Publix digital store coupon and a manufacturer coupon on the same item?

• Stacey says:

Not on one item, isn’t this just like Kroger? You either use digital or paper, but I assume you can buy one with digital and then use paper for multiples right?

• I bought two items and had one paper and one digital coupon. The digital coupon did not come off and I had to go to customer service for the refund. I always print out my digital list, so it was easy to show them and they were very nice about it. But, in the future I plan on doing two transactions if I have a situation like that again.

• LS says:

I had a digital coupon not work, and it was like pulling teeth to get it corrected at customer service. The cashier told me they would refund it, but the manager said they wouldn’t get reimbursed. I just stuck with my line that I was told I could get it back. Otherwise, I could have backed it out and started over. It’s the one and only time I’ve tried to use one.

• Stacey says:

I had the same problem but my cashier was a CS person so he just deducted the amount manually. I’m guessing it’s a pretty common problem because he did it without me asking.

• Mary Beth says:

I was told by my clerk that the online publix q’s are manufacture q’s and therefore cannot stack with an additional MQ, you could stack with a publix or competitor store q though.

3. Julie says:

It sounds like they would no longer take coupons for competitors store brand for Publix store brand since it states “?We will only accept coupons for identical merchandise we sell.” Or am I being too literal?

Good news to me is that I can use a $$ off total order Publix AND competitor coupons. Either that’s new or I didn’t realize that before…

• Jen says:

That is how I took that change as well… that really doesnt affect me because I dont do that anyways but some will be disappointed!

• Arlene says:

Julie:

Publix still accepts storte brand coupons as stated on the Q&A:

Q: Will Publix accept a competitor’s coupon for a private label item?

A: Yes. We’re happy to accept a coupon for a competitor’s private label product because it’s a chance to introduce you to our terrific Publix brand.

• johne says:

It is not new regarding Publix and Competitor $/$$ coupons. However, it states: “The order total must be equal to or greater than the combined purchase requirements indicated on the coupon(s) presented.” This means that if you have a $5/$30 Publix Q and a $5/$30 competitor Q-you must buy $60 worth of merchandise in order to use both. You are being too literal with the store brand part-it does clearly state that:
      Will Publix accept a competitor’s coupon for a private label item?

• cindyjan says:

they did take both coupons at the same time,like you could use the $5 of an use like 2 or 3 at the same time. Now you have to seperate the orders for the $30 each, which I find is haarder but am getting use to it.

• johne says:

The policy regarding $/$$ coupons has not changed. It is possible that your store is now abiding by the policy that has been there for a while now, however.

• candy says:

It looks like the total has to meet the combined requirements of both a competitor and a Publix $$ off coupon. So if you have a $5 off $30 Publix coupon and a $5 off $25 Winn Dixie coupon you have to spend $60 to use both.

• Stacey says:

Maybe I’m just not seeing something, but why wouldn’t you have to spend the amount of both $ off coupons combined? I would never think you could do it any other way.

• Stacey says:

That was my first thought too, no more store brand coupons from other stores. And I don’t want to be flamed for saying this, but I would rather Publix adjust their coupon policies than finally get fed up with all of the “creative couponing” scenarios and become like Walmart or Kroger.

• Sabrina D says:

The identical seems to mean if the coupon says 6ct or higher, it has to be at least six ct.Not the 5 count. Or ounces, or types. I notice coupon blogs that try to tell us to use a “sugar free” coupon when the sale say “excluding sugar free”.
      They want you to use store brand coupons like Target’s up & up on their publix brand stuff.

4. Betsy says:

My stores no longer allow me to combine the WinnDixie $5/$30 purchase coupon with the gas card coupon unless my total is at or over $80 now. Before- they would allow both at $50 because the gas card coupon states the $10 is off a gas card purchase (with a $50 grocery purchase). So, I think that may be one change.

• Alyssa L. says:

I was told that it is simply that they are now enforcing this part of the policy: “The order total must be equal to or greater than the combined purchase requirements indicated on the coupon(s) presented.” The gas card coupon requires a purchase of $50. The Winn Dixie coupon requires a purchase of $30. So $50 + $30 = $80 purchase required to use both.

• Betsy says:

Makes sense, thanks!

• Monica says:

I had a problem a few weeks ago with this. I understand the concept but was taken off guard by it and don’t completely agree when it comes to the gas card. Because I feel that since the $10 states it is off the gas card not total purchase like the $5/$30 Winn Dixie Q that you should just need a total of $50 not $80. because you are not really spending $50 total you end up at least spending $100 because of the gas card. That is my opinion though and apparently the cashier didn’t agree and I was unable to combine them as of the last gas card deal weeks ago. I was very displeased and don’t plan on doing the gas card deal anytime soon as I usually don’t spend close to $80 even before Qs as it is.

• LS says:

I agree. I don’t think this is a valid interpretation of the policy, since the $10 off is on a specific product. However, I don’t make the rules or enforce them. I won’t be doing gas cards anymore with this new policy. It’s not as good of a deal. I’m getting $15/80 ($5 WD + $10 gas card) instead of $10/60 or $15/90. It’s just not worth the bother since I often don’t even spend $80 at this point.

5. Adrienne says:

Thanks for the update. It’s crazy, I work for Publix and am not informed about updates like this by management. You keep me better informed here!

• Susan says:

That. That right there–it IS crazy. Any corporation I’ve worked for for 20+ years is responsible for the training of employees. Huh. Guess it doesn’t work that way any more. Good on you, Adrienne, for the initiative to inform yourself about changes YOU need to know about. Shame on Publix for not conveying this information to those who need it. I’m so frustrated by the arbitrary “rulings” of cashiers on the spot who are operating on outdated or just plain wrong rules. It’s just so frustrating–then again, maybe P hopes people will get so frustrated they’ll just stop the couponing and not bother with it.

• Cece says:

That’s not it. It depends on your actually store and manager and you yourself as an employee. I know great managers that make sure thier employess are up to date on policies and changes. I know a lot of publix stores here have gone to when and doubt call a manager over so they can double check. With everyday changing everyone can’t always be up to date. Then again you have some managers that aren’t focused on making sure all employees are trained correctly but Publix actually strives on this. Publix is one of the best places to shop at. They are always about making it right even if the customer is wrong because they want that customer to come back. I’ve saw this first and and so therefore some managers get fed up with it because they feel Publix doesn’t always have thier back.

6. debby340 says:

Does that last sentence mean that they will no longer give you cash back? That was never a problem for me–I spent it on other groceries that there are no coupons for! I also like that they will combine total off order coupons, I didn’t realize that before either. Thanks Michelle for all you do!

• johne says:

This is nothing new and refers to $/$$ Publix and competitor coupons only. It was there before this “change”.

7. Carly says:

My Publix now is making me do each $30 separate for the $5 off Winn Dixie coupons. I used to be able to spend $60 and use 2 but now they stop when it gets to $30 and I have to pay. Makes no sense to me as you are still getting the same savings but taking longer….

• sally says:

I was told that you weren’t permitted to do multiple transactions at my store. Anyways, I think the point of them making you (and others) do two transactions is to make it a bit of a process,in hopes that some people won’t want to bother with it because it’s too much trouble. I know that it would discourage me from doing it on a regular basis.

• Martina says:

Same here.

• Alyssa L. says:

My store has always required that. Some stores were letting it slide, but they weren’t supposed to do so.

• LS says:

The coupons clearly state one per transaction. I always have to separate into multiple transactions. It’s a bit of a bother, but not much.

• Monique says:

Consider yourself lucky that they will even let you use two at once! I was told tonight that I could only use one per visit (since it says that on the back) and that I couldn’t go out to my car and come back in right away and count that as another visit. I still prefer Publix to my other choices, but they’re making it darn difficult.

8. Karen says:

no overage? so we can’t a $1 qpon on a $0.75 item

• I’m not seeing about about overage (or no overage) in the revised policy.

• Les says:

I work at Publix and no there is no longer an overage. If you buy a product for .75 cents and you have a 1.00 off coupon then it takes off the .75. Even if you buy other stuff that doe not have a coupon you pay full price for those items, the .25 would not carry over.

• Laurie says:

So is Publix planning on making money on the coupons, since they will get reimbursed the full $1?

• Christine says:

• irene says:

They must be doing it to discourage people buying 100 of something for the overage. The product is probably a loss leader if it’s less than a Q, so it adds to their slim profit margin on that item. Their coupon policy is very generous, so it’s a small issue. By the way, Kroger has been adjusting down the Qs since the beginning of time.

• Laurie says:

Oh, I know! Which is why I usually never go into Kroger, they are so stingy with their coupons. I try to give Publix my business because I save so much with their policy, I don’t mind if I spend more on some items sometimes. But I would like them to keep the same honest policy that they are trying to avoid with those who do shelf clear or buy to resell as profit.
            The best way to discourage someone from buying so many, is to not let them buy so many! It is totally within their rights (and to everyones advantage) to limit quantity. At least those that want more would just have to work at it a little and it would cut down on the people doing it, rather than punishing the ones who just happen to find a great deal that has a little win/win for us and Publix. It is a small issue that doesn’t happen often and is a great boone for Publix if it gets me in there and buying other things.

• chelle says:

You are very wrong about that! If its like that at your store then its because the manager or someone put in their own rule! There is still overage when the coupon scans it does not mark itself down it scans for the amount on the coupon! The only real major change that was going to happen and everyone was so worried it was only going to be concerning the digital coupons and some stores were no longer going to be taking the Doris store as a comp! That is all! This was known to most up to date store managers as much as 2 months ago!

• Cece says:

@ Les I am not sure what Publix you work for but it must just be your store. Which stores to vary by region as well. No where in the policy does it state this. I got overage on the 8th and the 9th of April. All my stores around here still do overage. Also with your store not allowing overage a customer can get around that. They can always call and complain and Publix will make it right.

• maddie says:

i do not even see the word “overage” in their policy.

• johne says:

• Alyssa L. says:

There is still overage. The policy has not changed in that regard.

• Anne says:

I wanted to buy Motrin IB 4 tabs. with a $2 of any Motrin IB. The picture on the coupon showed a 100 tabs box. The cashier told me that when it is not clearly stated for what specific item the coupon is they have to go with the picture. Is that true according to Publix policy? Does someone know?

• Luz says:

In my experience, no, not at all. If it says “Any” then it means any, unless it specifically states otherwise, like over a certain number or weight. I’ve waited at the store while the manager contacted corporate over this issue, and I was right.

9. jan says:

fyi-some of my local (palm harbor area) stores are now accepting expired
    manufactors coupons so long as they still scan. need to check each one on separate basis.

10. edie says:

So nothing about only 5 coupons per transaction. Lije my store didon saturday.

11. Misty says:

does this mean they don’t take the ibotta coupons?

• Derpy Hooves says:

iBotta is a completely different thing from Publix. Of course they still accept iBotta.

• Jenn says:

Publix doesn’t know if you’re submitting to ibotta, so there’s nothing for them to accept or not accept. Ibotta submissions are strictly between you & ibotta.

12. angel says:

yeah the last part of the coupons policy is confusing me too. Just to make sure that you can still do overage and get cash back. There are times i get cash back or even apply it to my total purchase. I was just wondering are they stopping the cash back? please someone help.

• Michelle says:

My store has never given cash back. Always a better idea to have other items that you need to use up your overage, than to raise red flags :)

• maddie says:

i was at my publix yesterday i didn’t have any issue getting the overage applied to other items.

my publix does not give cash back if you have a negative final total, well even if they do i will make sure i get something else so they won’t have to give me cash. like Michelle said don’t raise red flags.

• I think what that last part means is that if you have two allowed dollars-off coupon, such as $5/$30 Publix Q and a $5/$30 Winn Dixie competitor’s Q, you must purchase at least $60 worth of groceries prior to coupons. You cannot buy only $30 worth and expect to be able to use both Qs.

>>The order total must be equal to or greater than the combined purchase requirements indicated on the coupon(s) presented.<<

Like the other commenters have said, best to buy other items rather than get cash back and raise red flags.

• Alyssa L. says:

Yes, you can still get overage.
      If you are referring to this: “The order total must be equal to or greater than the combined purchase requirements indicated on the coupon(s) presented.” <- that is referring to coupons that require a purchase total to work. For example, the $5/$30 Winn Dixie coupons. You have to buy $30 worth of groceries in order to get the $5 off.

• Alyssa L. says:

Also, that provision has not changed — it has been there. It’s just easier to spot now because it is a separate bullet point.

13. Carly says:

Oh, this part really worries me. I always plan using overage to cover the rest of my cart…

14. Teresa says:

Michellle,
    Are there no new coupons from “best Meals happen at home” this month? The only email I received was about extra coupons for sharing.

• RyanMc says:

Teresa,
      I emailed the Best Meals Happen at Home team and their response was this:

“We’re sorry to hear this and happy to help! Can you please provide us with the email address that you signed up with? We’ll work to ensure that you start receiving the weekly emails moving forward. Thanks!”

Other friends of mine haven’t received their emails either. They didn’t answer my question as to whether there were coupons sent out or not. Kind of frustrating. We shall see if I receive an email with coupons now.

Hope you have better luck than I did! I really enjoy those coupons.

• Kim B says:

I emailed to ask if there was another email set of new coupons.
      This is the response I got back from them:

“For the next two weeks we will be running the BONUS Coupons- Refer TWO Friends and Save! offer. The next set of coupons will be available on April 19th.”

15. Ami says:

My cashier recently told me that they were going to start adjusting coupons so that they are no longer MM. If you have a q for $1.50 and the item is $1, they will adjust the coupon down to $1 and they will not put it through at face value so that the remaining $0.50 cents goes towards something else. She said that people were really abusing the store, coming in with loads of qs for $5 on an item that cost $2 and that it was getting to be too much.

• kris r says:

in my mind that is coupon fraud. if the store is getting reimbursed $5 for the coupon and they are adjusting you down your value, they are defrauding the company when they short your total. they are cheating the system. what a lie!!!

• kris r says:

but by the way kroger does this for double coupons already if you have a .50 coupon that doubles and the item is .69 they will only double your coupon to .69 and not to the full 1.00 i dont see that as an issue b/c they only get the .50 back from the company and not the full 1.00.

• jacci says:

I totally understand the adjusting down on the doubling coupons, because they are not getting the money back for the “doubled” part anyway, it is coming out of their pocket. So making it only valid for the amount of the item seems totally fair. On the other hand, a store that adjusts a valid coupon down to the cost of the item doesn’t seem fair, because they are going to get the full amount back from the manufacturer. I don’t read the last line of the policy to mean no overage. I believe it is just another point in the combining Publix and competitor Qs.

• Cindy says:

Publix will be changing the policy as Ami states but ONLY on Publix coupons, not Manufacturer coupons. So if an item is $2.00 and there is a $1.00 MQ and a $1.25 PQ they will adjust the PQ down to $1.00. In the next 60 days no stores will allow overage with Publix Coupons. There will still be overage with Manufacturer coupons. in which Publix is reimbursed, but not for Publix coupons for which they are not reimbursed . . . directly.

• nellie says:

so if i give them the pq first and then the mq second, i still should be able to get the overage, correct?

• chelle says:

YOur cashier is just talking to hear her self talk there is no truth to that unless someone at store level trys to implement that!

• Alyssa L. says:

That is not authorized by the current Publix coupon policy. It is incorrect. I would strongly suggest you contact corporate.

• Kate says:

According to publix corporate, only the value of Publix (or competitor) coupons can be modified if the value of the coupon exceeds the value of the product. Say you’re buying a product for $1.You can use a $1mq and a $1pq. If you had a $1.25mq and a $1.25pq, the pq would be adjusted to $1 and your combined coupon savings would be $2.25.

16. SHANNON says:

I WAS IN PUBLIX IN GALLATIN TN THIS WEEKEND AND I GUY THAT WAS CHECKING US OUT ALSO SAID THAT WITH THERE NEW COUPON POLICY THAT YOU CANT MAKE MONEY LIKE I WAS GETTING THE 4 PACK OF MOTRIN AND MY COUPON WAS 2.00 OFF THE PRODUCT WAS ONLY 1.09 SO IT ONLY GAVE ME A 1.09 OFF NOT THE WHOLE 2.00 YOU MIGHT HAVE ALREADY POSTED IT IDK BUT JUST THOUGHT THAT I WOULD PUT IT OUT THERE

• maddie says:

probably because your motrin coupon did not scan and they have to manually enter the price and the checkout guy does not want to give you overage.

• Rebecca @ Swappin Spoons says:

I agree—probably because the cashier did NOT want you to have the overage! They were wrong in doing this. I am not just a couponer saying this—this is my job. I work very closely with the “Coupon People” (lol) and grocery stores. Publix will still give you overage up to the coupon amount, meaing you should have gotten overage on the product you were trying to buy.

Never, never take the cashiers word for it, because sadly most of the time, they are not a couponer or have not been trained well—and that goes for all stores—not just Publix.

• Jessica P says:

I had a coupon for a $1.00 an item at CVS. The product was on sale for $0.98. The cashier had to manually enter the coupon and only give me credit for $0.98, which was fine because I am not going to debate $0.02.

My question is does CVS get the full $1.00 amount from the company that the coupon belonged to? How would the company know the item only sold for $0.98? Does this mean CVS gets to keep the extra $0.02? Again not going to argue over 2 cents, but I was just curious. I also realize this is not a CVS website but since we were talking about overage I thought I would ask here.

• Kate says:

My stores computers are “unable to accept a coupon for more than the product value” according to them. Not sure what corporate says

• Angela says:

Yes, it is my understanding that no matter what the store “adjusts” the coupon to (in this case $0.98), they will be reimbursed for the full amount of the coupon (PLUS a handling fee – which is usually around $0.08 per coupon).

• Melinda says:

Does Gallatin still have some in stock? I have been checking the Hendersonville store but haven’t found any since the coupon came out.

• Alyssa L. says:

For future reference, ALL CAPS is really, really hard to read and is considered to be “yelling” on the internet.

• Cece says:

He actually had no control over giving you the overage. The problem with those coupons were they weren’t meant for that product. I know the coupon stated no limits. The coupon stopped scanning so therefore it thru up a red flag when this happens the store managers are directed to call the company. Mortin told store managers this coupon wasn’t for the 4ct so therefore a lot fof Publix won’t take the coupons period and if they do they adjust the total down.

17. kris r says:

i dont like that you cant use a publix coupon with the digital and that the digital coupons dont double

• jacci says:

You can use a publix coupon with a digital coupon, you can’t use a printed manufacturer coupon with a digital coupon. and here in florida nothing doubles anyway, so the fact that digital Qs don’t double isn’t an issue here

18. kris r says:

the extreme couponers have ruined it for all of us. anything that we would have previously gained, even if just a little is all gone now.

• Christine says:

I don’t think it’s “all gone now.” I agree that when I first started couponing 4 years ago things were MUCH different (better) than they are now, but I don’t know that I would blame that entirely on extreme couponers (or the TLC show…).

• Laurie says:

Agreed! At least the extreme couponers (which are just shown on the show, there are many more of us regular couponers) are doing it legally. It think who has mainly ruined it are the ones taking advantage of the system, returning for full value, clearing the shelves, reselling at Flea markets to make a profit, etc….

• sis2 says:

I don’t think the changes are all due to the TLC show on couponing. I think that the economy is bad and everything is costing more. The manufacturers can’t afford to keep making less profit due to coupons. I think this is a trend that will continue as the economy continues to worsen.

19. Genevieve Guoba says:

Big change at my Publix’s in regards to the $5.00 off Winn Dixe coupons, you can only use one Per Day, Per customer.

• Ali says:

Where do you live? I live in western Al and was checking out with 3 seperate transactions and my cashier and bagger both told me that if I had $60 in groceries, I could use 2 Winn Dixie 5 off 30 coupons…if I had $90…I could use 3 coupons. Previously we had to seperate the transactions.

• Cece says:

The coupon doesn’t state that but it is up to every store to refuse a coupon. You can always voice your opinion to Publix and they will try to make it right! I don’t spilt up transactions all at once. If I have several. I use the 3 stores that are 5 minutes apart from my house or. I do one transactions load it into my car and go back in and do another and make sure I do the cold items in my last one

20. Lacey says:

I’m still happy with the policy, I think Publix tries to go over and above for the most part.

21. maddie says:

i don’t really see much of a change of the policy for my situation here.

we don’t have winn-dixie like couponers in florida or alabama. my store’s competitor are only kroger and fresh market, i hardly even use competitor’s coupon.

22. Coupon Man says:

What the last policy is saying is basically there will be no more cash back because the Final total must be equal or greater than what the coupon says. Not less. Effectively destroying cash back. YOU STILL CAN APPLY OVERAGE TO OTHER ITEMS. Your final total just can’t be less than .01.

• maddie says:

that’s what i thought too.
      so for us here in south atlanta it’s nothing new because our store does not give cash back as final total.

• Coupon Man says:

We’ll im in south Georgia but I just found out last week they gave cash back. Oh well…LOL….

• maddie says:

good for you lol. i never really tried to get cash back on the spot from any store. i always take another item to get my total to positive or just tax.

• Michele says:

That sentence about order total having to be equal or greater to the total purchase requirement has always been in their policy & we’ve always gotten overage. I’m looking at their previous policy right now.

• Alyssa L. says:

It is referring to coupons that have a purchase requirement — such as the gas card that requires a $50 grocery purchase or the $5/$30 Winn Dixie coupon that requires a $30 grocery purchase.

• Coupon Man says:

You know what Michele…..i’m reading it wrong. It says order total. Not referring to price. But the items purchased!! So if your order total is 3 items and you have 2 $2/2 items you can’t use it because it’s less than the order total. You have to order AT LEAST 4.

I assume they are restating this to assure that no customer is using more than one manufacturer coupon on the 1,2,or 3 items it applies to.

• Stacey says:

I’m with you, I’m also in metro Atlanta and don’t really see much that will affect me at Publix. Mine doesn’t give money back and I never have those $ off final order coupons because they don’t exist for us.

• Alyssa L. says:

Nope, that is incorrect. The last policy was there in the previous version as well, and states, just as it did before: “The order total must be equal to or greater than the combined purchase requirements indicated on the coupon(s) presented.” It is referring to the coupons that have a purchase requirement — such as the $5/$30 Winn Dixie coupon that requires a $30 grocery purchase. For example, a gas card coupon requires a $50 purchase, and a WD coupon requires a $30 purchase. So your total has to be $80 in order to use both.

23. Cynthia says:

My Publix has never done cashback, and they have very limited competitors they accept, so BiLo still gets the majority of my purchases.

However, I just saw this & liked it –
    “Q: What if I have a rain check and a coupon for an item, but the coupon is now expired, though it was valid on the date the rain check was issued. Can I still use the coupon on the item?

A: Yes, Publix will accept the coupon that was valid on the date the rain check was issued.”

I don’t think my Publix was allowing this before.

24. kris r says:

the new registers since they installed the digital coupon stuff is making many internet coupons not scan. it is a BIG pain and making them have to manually input MANY coupons and the manager has to approve the manually entered coupons. what a pain. i will refuse the digital coupons since they will not double. i think eventually all the stores will move away from the doubling. my stores here in georgia are questioning many of the internet coupons now even though they are valid. the extreme couponers have made a difference. they have told me many times there is an extreme couponer at one of my publix stores so i dont go to that store (even though it is the closest one) unless i have to because they are a pain with the coupons

25. Deborah says:

I do not see what the fuss is about! The only additional thing I see is the mention of digital coupons, the other stuff has been there for a while: the use of $$ off coupons have to match or exceed the total you are buying, the fact they accept coupons for store brands items as long as they carry an equal product, and the overage has never been mentioned in any policy.

I personally feel better when I have to pay at least a few pennies and not have a cashier “looks” making me feel like I am taking money from the company (because it is more common to get overage by combining store + manufacturer coupons, the overage more than likely will be assumed by the store), so I rather have items that cover for the overage and not get those “looks”.

• Alyssa L. says:

You’re right. Everything else is the same. They just decided to put the beginning paragraph in the form of bullet points. That’s it.

26. Kelly says:

Does “For a buy-one-get-one free (BOGO) offer, each item is considered a separate purchase” take away “True BOGO” for us Floridians? Or what does it really mean? I don’t feel like this was written in the policy before…

• Thrisha says:

From what I remember, that was there before. It just means each item in a BOGO is considered a separate purchase, and thus, you can use a coupon on each item.

• Alyssa L. says:

That was there before. The ONLY thing that has changed is the digital coupons part.

27. Luz says:

So, this part I do not understand.

Q: Will Publix accept a competitor’s coupon for a private label item?

Does that mean we can use coupons for Target brand items on Publix brand items?

28. Ami says:

For me the overage thing really isn’t a big deal but it was brought to my attention by the cashier. Not sure if she was just talking to hear herself talk or what. My response was that I rarely have any qs that produce overage and if I do, someone already cleared the shelf. I used some aspirin and razor qs from awhile back as an example and told her that I just took those to WM because they didn’t have the item anyway. I don’t have time to debate insignificant stuff like that. I’ll just buy whatever is best for me at that store and that’s that.

29. Laurie says:

On Saturday I was informed by the cashier at check out that the coupon policy regarding the $5.00 off $25.00 Dollar General coupuns had changed. The used to accept several for one order as long as you spent the $25.00 requirement for each $5.00 off coupon. I usually has two because that was all I was able to print from the Dollar General website. The cashier told me someone BOUGHT $2000.00 IN GROCERIES and handed the cashier $400.00 IN DOLLAR GENERAL COUPONS.I was appalled. There is always going to be someone who is going to abuse the system and spoil it for everyone. Now they will only take one $5.00 coupon regardless of how much you spend.

30. Teresa says:

RyanMc
    I just read on Michelle’s site that the best meal coupons don’t come out til April 19

31. Ami says:

On another note… Sort of coupon related but not really. Does anyone’s Publix limit BOGO deals to 4 deals per person? My store in Sunrise, FL did and I was shocked. I asked and they limit it to 4 deals of each sale items regardless of what the item is.

• Kirstie says:

I live in Pinellas County and I shop at a few different Publix stores in my area. They all limit the BOGO deals to 5 (or 10 items), but I believe the individual stores have the right to limit quantities at their discretion.

• LS says:

I am also in Pinellas County. My store has never limited my quantities, although there are very few things that I buy a lot of.

• Melissa says:

Some of the Lakeland stores do this. not necessarily across the board, but for particularly popular items that do not have restrictions listed on the coupons.

32. Ami says:

Just curious and wondering if this is another way to limit deals and coupon use. I have had issues using coupons at this store before.

33. Kirstie says:

Nothing has changed except that they added details about their digital coupon policy.

34. AnnaBella says:

Isn’t this the same exact policy with the addition of the mobile/digital blurbs? I don’t see this as a “policy change” at all. JMO.

35. patricia gambrell says:

Ok so have a question if I buy $120 I can still use 4 winn dixie coupons then use the other coupons to get my total down as far as I can?

• Mary says:

As posted above in the policy:

“Dollars-off-total-order coupons will be limited to one Publix and one competitor coupon per order.”

So, no.

• tonia says:

You can still use them but you will have to break your order up into four transactions totalling $30 each. You can use them that way.

36. Kathryn says:

Was told today at my Publix that as of April 1st, it was a corporate wide policy change that with the $5 off $30 purchase Winn Dixie coupons… that before 4/1 your total BEFORE coupons had to be $30 but now your total AFTER all other coupons has to be $30 in order to use the WD $5 off. Anyone else hear this? I was at my Publix on 4/3 and was not told of this nor was it enforced, but today the cashier said it’s a new policy.

• Susan says:

No, and I’d be shocked if that’s correct. Next time, maybe ask to speak to a manager? If that’s the way it works at your store, just use it at Winn Dixie where the $5 is deducted regardless of MQs and SQs as long as your total begins at $30. That’s poppycock IMO.

• Kathryn says:

It’s weird because it has never worked that way for over a year and a half until yesterday. The cashier insisted that it was a corporate-wide change and that I could check other stores to verify.

• Kathryn says:

I emailed corporate regarding my question and was informed that the correct policy was to use the WD $5 coupon BEFORE other coupons and that the cashier at the store I visited was incorrect. I was quite happy to hear this!!

• Monica says:

I’ve been using the Winn Dixie coupons for about a year w/ no problem. I was told a while back from a cashier that if the total off coupon states after all promotions and offers ( or something similar) they take that to mean after coupons. The enjoy the city Winn Dixie $5/$30 do not state that and therefore are before coupons. Besides that i also make sure to have that one of the top of my pile when i hand them to the cashier just so it does not cause any confusion. Some times they scan it first and sometimes not but I haven’t had any trouble and I almost always make my transaction exactly $30 before coupons and last used last Saturday 4/6.

37. Joyce says:

Will someone please clear this up for me. Some coupons say limit one per purchase and some say limit one per item. Some weekes ago I went to my publix here in GA and I had coupons that say limit one per purchase. I picked up about 6 of one item and the cashier says I can only get 2 because its only limit one per purchase. Also, my store accept Target coupons but that day she says they stop accept target coupon with publishers coupons. From that day I chose the cashier I want to go to. Because of this new policy can we still buy up to 10 items on BOGO or you can only buy 2. I would like some feed back on this.

38. KP says:

I am very interested by the comments. A few weeks ago some of the upper store level personnel I know, told me there was training at all of the local stores. The training was in RESPONSE TO MANY COMPLAINTS ie: my store won’t take the coupon her store will! They were attempting to train everyone in the already standing policy plus the new digital coupons. That way things would be uniform and easier for them and us. Sounds like it had the oppisite effect!

39. KBS says:

Adjusting the Publix Q down to the value of the product lessens the benefit of stacking a PQ with a MQ. I understand the thinking that making the item free should be enough benefit but I sure will miss the overage. It also seems like this will lengthen checkout times if the cashier has to review all your purchases that have PQ & MQ to adjust the PQ if necessary.

40. Modupe says:

I contacted Publix re overage. This was my response email :

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your question and allowing us the opportunity to serve you. We always enjoy hearing from our customers,and we appreciate the trust you have placed in us as your grocer of choice

Thank you for taking the time to contact our corporate office with your question about coupons that exceed the value of the item being purchased. You’ll be happy to know that if the purchase requirements are met,we deduct the full value of the legitimate coupon regardless of the price of the item unless stipulated differently on the coupon. We believe the customer should get the full benefit of legitimate coupons and it’s our pleasure to help our customers save money. Any overage would then be applied to your total order or become cash back,assuming none of the coupons have any stipulations to the contrary.

For example,an item is BOGO for $4.19 and you have a manufacturer’s coupon for $3.00 and two $1 store coupons,the overage of 81 cents would be overage for you. The policy was updated to add clarifications,we apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

We sincerely thank you for shopping at Publix. We know you have a choice when it comes to selecting a supermarket, and we appreciate your having chosen Publix. I hope you will continue to find shopping at Publix a pleasure.

We hope we have answered your question

41. alexia says:

Hii! What is the policy on how many manufactures exact same coupons are limited for each transaction? Is there a limit on coupons per transaction or is it like walmart that is unlimited?? thankss