Coupon Question and Answer – Ask I Heart Publix 3/6

March 6, 2013

Publix QA 2 Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 3/6
If you have a question about couponing at Publix, this is the place to find the answer! Each week my buddy Christy over at Winn Dixie on a Dime and I have a little coupon question and answer session here on Ask I Heart Publix. Keep sending in those questions – we love to answer them! Just remember if we didn’t get to your question this week…we will do our best to cover it another week!!

Remember–there is a tab at the top of the site under “About” titled “Ask I Heart Publix” where you can find the questions and answers from past weeks!

Here are this week’s questions:

1. What’s your interpretation of this coupon wording?
  2. Do you know anything about a weekly Publix Mailer Coupon?
  3. What is the most important couponing tip you would give to a new couponer?
  4. How do you know how long something will last once you defrost it?
  5. Is there a trick to finding a coupon on Coupons.com after you have printed it once?

And here are the answers!

1.Marcus wants to know: Just the other day I had a debate with the owner of another popular couponing site about coupon terminology. The point of contention: those coupons that state “Buy Product X Get $ Off Product Y.” My reasoning was that such coupons cover or “attach” to every product stipulated but his was that the wording is vague and open to interpretation. What’s your opinion?

Michelle: You can see my post about this here. In a nutshell…I agree with you. icon smile Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 3/6

The Publix Coupon Q&A says

Q: I have a “$1 off the purchase of two items” manufacturer’s coupon. Can another manufacturer’s coupon be used for either of these items?

A: No. When the manufacturer issues a “$1 off the purchase of two items” coupon, it requires the purchase of two items. So, because you have to purchase both items to meet the coupon’s requirements, a manufacturer’s coupon has already been applied to both items.

Q: I have a BOGO manufacturer’s coupon. Can another manufacturer’s coupon be used for either of these items?

A: No. When the manufacturer issues a BOGO coupon, it requires the purchase of two items. So, because you have to purchase both items to meet the coupon’s requirements, a manufacturer’s coupon has already been applied to both items.

2. Kevin wants to know: For years, my mom has been getting a weekly mailer coupon from her local Publix for $5/xx.  Is there anyway to join a mailing list from Publix to get this or is just her Publix that does this?  Was hoping someone had some kind of inside knowledge about this.

Michelle: Boy I wish I had that inside knowledge as it has been many months (maybe even over a year now) since I have received a coupon. I don’t have any scoop but would love to hear if there is anyone out there who knows the secret.

I am betting that it is areas where there is high competition and the stores are working hard to keep Publix in the shopper’s mind by giving them that coupon incentive.

Christy: I’d love to hear from the commenters on this one – but I’ve not heard of a weekly Publix coupon mailer in all my time couponing at Publix. Maybe you guys know differently?

3. Happy wants to know: What is the most important couponing tip you would like to give to a newbie?

Christy: Start small! If you are just starting out, spend a week or two reading blogs and comments for blog posts (the comments section is a great place to ask questions too!) just to start to get an idea of how the whole thing works.

When you think you’ve got it – pick two or three deals and incorporate them into your regular shopping for the week. When you start small like this, you avoid big mistakes and it’s a lot easier to handle the checkout process. Give yourself 3 or 4 weeks to get started, adding a few more deals in each time – it will make the whole thing a lot more painless in the long run icon smile Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 3/6

Michelle: I love Christy’s answer. Besides starting small, I think another thing that all new couponers should know is that it is OK to miss a deal. When I first started couponing, I spent all my time running from store to store trying to get all the deals. I got burnt out very quickly. I was trying to handle the drugstores and shopping at 2 -3 different grocery stores. It was overwhelming and I felt like I was living and breathing coupons and deals. I found myself getting frustrated and upset when I would create a big list only to find that my deal was shot because the store was out of a particular item.

I am a much better shopper now that I am not so focused on getting every single deal out there. It can be disappointing to miss some of the good ones but –THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANOTHER DEAL! I think keeping that in mind will keep couponing fun and not so stressful.

4. Christy wants to know: When you freeze something and then defrost it again…how do you know how long it will be good once you defrost it?

Christy: This is actually my question…which I’m asking just so we can showcase the great answer that Dawn from the comments had last week! She says:

If today is the 20th, and the expiration date of the item I’m freezing is the 28th, I just write the number 8 on the item before I freeze it. This tells me that once it defrosts; I have 8 days to use it. I don’t recall where I read it, but it works.

It’s a little, simple idea – but great for those of us (like me) that just kind of “wing it” when it comes to defrosting things icon smile Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 3/6

5. Maria wants to know: I wanted to know if there is any easier way or a trick or maybe an “I just don’t see it” way to print your 2nd coupon on Coupons.com. seems when I print my first one, and then I go back to do the 2nd I have to search all over for it as it is not in the same place. I end up having to scroll through them all and sometime I miss it and think I have gone crazy as I know it was JUST there!  I have tried just going to that particular category and at times that doesn’t work either. Sometimes they put it at the very end, sometimes not!  Also if there are any other tricks of making getting coupons.com coupons easier, please fill me in.

Michelle: I try to build direct coupon links as often as I can. That way all you have to do is click the coupon to go right to it. Sometimes you might have to change the zip and then click the link…but you will find that the coupon is the first selected.

When you need your second print…you can come back to my site and click the link again and it will again be the first one selected   icon smile Coupon Question and Answer   Ask I Heart Publix 3/6 This is how I do it when they are zip code specific– it seems to reduce the time in finding the coupons.

Click the coupon link
Change the zip code
Come back and click the coupon link again – it will now be the first coupon and it’s preclipped.
Repeat for a second print

I hope our answers to these questions were helpful! Make sure you ‘tune in’ next week for even more Q&A with I Heart Publix. If you have a question you’d like to see answered, email me at contactiheartpublix@gmail.com.

Comments

25 Responses to “Coupon Question and Answer – Ask I Heart Publix 3/6”
  1. Sunbear says:

Question #5: There is a coupons.com toolbar that makes searching SO much easier! You can download it at http://couponbar.coupons.com

I typically do not like any toolbars or add-ons but this one is really helpful. There is a drop down menu and you can really narrow your search and find the coupon quickly without loading and scrolling forever. I’m so glad my husband stumbled upon it when upgrading my browser. It is a real time saver when you don’t have a direct link.

• Tracy says:

When I did an update on my desktop, it automatically installed the Coupon Tool Bar and now I can’t print at all! I have tried to uninstall it numerous times and I can’t get it off :( Thank goodness I can print from my laptop, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to print at all anymore. I don’t know if this will happen to everyone, but I know I won’t download that bar again!

• Michelle says:

Yes…after I downloaded a toolbar and it took my husband HOURS to fix my computer he begged me to never ever download a toolbar again. He said they can be very unstable and cause all kinds of issues.

So—no more toolbars for me…not worth the risk (or my husband’s “I told you so”–tee hee!)

• Caroline says:

Thank You Michelle & Co. for the valuable information you provide across all of your sites everyday.
          Not relevant to coupon printing and please don’t attack me for saying this, but is there a perception on this site that men are in charge of fixing our computers? For the record, my husband relies on me for all PC repair issues. He dropped his laptop and I replaced the hard drive and completely installed Windows from scratch. PC repair does not require any heavy lifting, so ladies let’s rise up! Please tell me I am wrong and that I am not the only computer geek on this site.

• Michelle says:

Hahaha–too cute!
            Well I will be honest, my husband does all of my fixes because that is what he does. He has been in IT for 25+ years…so he is MUCH more up to date than me. I might have been able to find the fix but he can usually do it much quicker.

BUT–I do think I rock in certain areas when it comes to technology. I am pretty darn good with html and he would not know where to begin with my sites :-D

• Jude says:

I, a woman, fix my own everything — computers, plumbing, appliances… You’re not the only computer geek on this site. ;)

2. Becky says:

In regards to printing from coupons.com: If you go through the website and clip all the coupon you want, then go to the upper left corner and right click on their logo, choose the option “open in new tab”. You can then click print from both tabs and get all the coupons you selected.

3. Renea says:

Great advice and tips as usual! Thanks! :)

4. Jessica Gilbert says:

In response to question 1: I’m a little confused. Because I do this all the time but generally with coupons that read, “buy product A and get a $1 off of product B”. Is this the same thing as you are referring to from the Publix Coupon Q&A? I only shop at Publix, Aldi and CVS and I know I weekly look for what I thought was called Piggy Back deals. In fact the Publix Customer Service Desk introduced me to it.

• Michelle says:

If a coupon says save $1 off A when you buy B….you can’t use any additional coupons on A or B if you use that coupon. It’s the same principle as the examples above.

“When the manufacturer issues a BOGO coupon, it requires the purchase of two items. So, because you have to purchase both items to meet the coupon’s requirements, a manufacturer’s coupon has already been applied to both items.”

Just substitute BOGO for any other type of coupon that requires a multiple purchase.

I am just going by the policy. I know this has caused huge debates before as some folks think that if the specific coupon (buy this get X off that) is not specifically addressed then they can do whatever. I guess you have to use YOUR best judgement.

5. Jude says:

FINDING SECOND PRINTS at Coupons.com:

Click on the CATEGORY (foods, personal care…) to find the Coupons you want a second print of. I have found coupons I already printed are always there — usually at the end of the (few) pages of that category.

The only quirk is that the “total” coupons selected, at the top of the page, only shows the number selected for the category you’re in. ALL of the coupons/categories print, however, when you click “PRINT”.

6. VERGIN says:

regarding the coupons print,
    sign up on http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/leofdz
    from there there is a dropdown “discover” and then click on coupons. it will open the coupons website like the old one and also u get 10 points for each coupon u print and redeem.
    it will take 6-8 weeks to credit the points but every little bit helps. and also u can earn points for searching the web, watching ads, etc
    for 450 points u can get $5 amazon gift card
    this is my referral link

7. Shanna says:

my coupons.com coupons always show up at the end for the second print. i always use a site that has the old setup, though- like this one or swagbucks- so i can just click to page 18 or whatever.

8. Cyndi says:

Michelle,
    Thought you may want to read and publish… now this is an EXTREME COUPONER, not something we all want to associate with:

9. Cathryn says:

Regarding the $$off coupons. I have not received one in a few years. When Publix first came to my area in Alabama, they were plentiful. I am suprised that there have not been any since Walmart is advertising heavily in my area, both in print and on television as to their prices being cheaper than Publix. I guess Publix’s sales are staying up there despite the advertising Publix is my store of choice.

10. Mary says:

Sure hope Nicolas and Christina read Michelle’s comments about correct use of coupons. Thanks Michelle.

11. Melissa says:

With question #2, I did notice when I first bought my house last year, I got some in the post office welcome package (along with a lot of other great coupons) and I got about 4 new ones a few weeks after we moved in. But now, nothing. Wish they would hand more of them out!

12. Ellen says:

Does anyone out there dislike (hate) the format at Coupons.com? The old one was so much easier to me. Usually I just forget it if I’m just scanning. Thanks, Michelle, for making the coupons you reference easy to find!

13. Jennifer T says:

Re: #5 – Once I print the coupon I right click on my navigation arrows. It brings up the past few pages. I click on the first (lowest on the list) Print Coupon, and it prints it again. If you print several, it will print the same several, so if you only want one, just do that one. Hope that helps!

14. Carie says:

Today at publix, I bought $50 in groceries and also had my gas card. I used the $10/$50 gas card and then my $5/$40 publix q that was in Sunday’s paper. The cashier told me that publix has a new policy that if you use them together (or any store coupon), that you will have to purchase $90 in groceries in order to use them both (or whatever the store q’s value is). I have never had this issue before. Is this true?

• Alycia M says:

Same thing happened to me! I was also told that there is a new Publix coupon policy in effect. When I asked to see it I was told that they don’t have it in print yet. I asked about other changes and it looks like some of them could be pretty extreme. My store has always been very coupon user friendly, I sure hope the changes don’t effect that.