February 14, 2013
I grabbed my deal last week and whipped up a fantastic recipe that I wanted to share with you guys – Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash. Let me start by sharing my husband’s exact words when he ate it…”I wouldn’t mind having this one again.” OK -let me translate for you guys who don’t speak Jim… what he was really saying is, “This is fantastic. I love this new recipe and would be thrilled if you would make it again” – tee hee!
Ok–so maybe a bit dramatic but you have to understand – my husband is not picky. He will eat whatever I put in front of him. Even if he doesn’t like what I make, he will choke it down and thank me for cooking him dinner. When he actually makes a comment about a meal, I know it is a keeper This recipe is definitely a winner and will go into my meal rotation.
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut lengthwise in half, seeded
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Hot Pork Sausage Roll
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup packed baby spinach, chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Place squash, cut-sides down, in 13×9-inch microwaveable dish; cover. Microwave on HIGH 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain. Return to skillet. Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Turn squash halves over; fill with sausage mixture. Microwave, covered, 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated
Who says coupons only buy junk food?! I love when we get coupons for items that help us whip up a delicious and very satisfying meal. This one is packed with veggies and lots of protein. Plus, it is super easy! You can have dinner on the table with very little effort.
Grab your Jimmy Dean coupon so you can score a deal (be sure and look for a blinkie coupon in the store too!) Do you have any good recipes to share? Feel free to drop them in the comments. If you need some inspiration or ideas once you pick up your deal, head over to the Jimmy Dean recipe page and you’ll have a ton of options!