February 19, 2013
I’ve almost finished off my current bag of grapefruit and it looks like I will have to pick up another bag. Once I saw the new winner’s recipe I decided that I have to give it a try! I just love a tangy sweet and sour citrus pie and never thought about doing one with grapefruit.
Not sure what to do with your grapefruit? Head over to the Juicy Scoop Facebook page where they list tons of different grapefruit recipes that range from snacks, appetizers and even meals using those big juicy fruits.
Those fabulous fruits can be used in so many different ways. Besides being delicious, they offer many nutritional benefits:
- One 8-ounce glass of grapefruit juice provides 100% or more of the Daily Value for vitamin C. Vitamin C is an important antioxidant. Antioxidants may help neutralize free radicals formed as part of the body’s natural oxidation processes. Many scientists believe the long term presence of excessive free radicals may damage cells and tissues and contribute to the development of certain chronic diseases.
- One 8-ounce serving of grapefruit juice is fat-free and, at less than 100 calories per 8-ounce glass, has fewer calories than some other commonly consumed 100 percent fruit juices. 100% grapefruit juice is a healthful and nutrient-rich replacement in the diet for foods and beverages containing added sugars.
- Research suggests that the consumption of grapefruit and grapefruit juice is associated with a positive impact on heart health indicators such as HDL cholesterol and total cholesterol. 100% grapefruit juice is also sodium-free, saturated fat-free, and cholesterol-free and can be a part of a heart-healthy diet and lifestyle.
- An 8-ounce glass of grapefruit juice provides vitamin C, plus other nutrients and phytochemicals that may help support a healthy immune system.
I have another winner to announce! Congratulations to Joyce. She is the winner of a $100 Publix gift card in the week 3 giveaway for sharing her favorite grapefruit recipe –
32 regular marshmallows
1 tbsp. water
3 lg. grapefruit (1/2 cup)
1 tsp. almond extract
1 graham cracker pie shell
Heat marshmallows and water in double boiler until melted. Set aside or put in refrigerator until they stiffen. Section grapefruit and drain well. Add almond extract to marshmallows. Add grapefruit and mix together. Pour into shell. Cover top of pie with Cool Whip and toasted slivered almonds. Refreshing!
You guys have one last chance to win a $100 Publix gift card. The folks at Florida Grapefruit have offered to give another I Heart Publix reader a $100 Publix gift card just for sharing your best grapefruit recipe that incorporates at least 1/2 cup of grapefruit.
Entry is simple! You just need to complete the task below! As a reminder, comments left on Facebook, Twitter or other posts will not be included. I will choose the winner on Monday 2/25 at 11 pm.
- Share your best grapefruit recipe that incorporates at least 1/2 cup of grapefruit in the comments below.
Disclosure: This giveaway is sponsored by the folks at Florida Department of Citrus. All comments and opinions are my own.