February 6, 2013
We’ve been answering questions for Ask I Heart Publix for over two years now, and we’ve definitely found that some questions keep popping up as new couponers write in. So every month we’re going to feature a “Best Of” Ask I Heart Publix, where we post some of our favorite questions and answers from past weeks, months, and years.
Don’t worry….we’ll still be answering the new questions you guys send in, too, so keep sending in those questions! Just remember if we didn’t get to your question this week…we will do our best to cover it another week!!
Don’t forget to look under the “About” tab where you can find the questions and answers from past weeks!
Here are this week’s “Best of” questions:
- Will the coupons on sites like coupons.com, SmartSource and RedPlum be available to print all month or are there a “set” number of prints each coupon has available?
- What’s the best way to search for a coupon on a particular item?
- Should I worry about trying to use all of my coupons that are expiring, or should I just match coupons with sales as they happen and forget about trying to use up the expiring ones?
- Does Publix have some kind of store card that you need to sign up for to get the deals?
- Are there ANY Florida Publixes that double coupons?
And here are the answers!
1.Julie wants to know: Will the coupons on sites like coupons.com, SmartSource and RedPlum be available to print all month or are there a “set” number of prints and once the coupon reaches that number it goes away? I have been been printing any and every coupon that I might use but then many expire before a sale comes along.
Christy: I’m not 100% sure about this but certainly does seem like there are some coupons that are gone quickly and others that stick around all month. Personally, since I live in the land of no doubles, I make it a rule to print every coupon for items I purchase regularly that is $1 or more as soon as I see it…sometimes this means that they expire before a sale, but more often than not I have what I need when I need it.
Michelle: Often I wish that I could know how long a coupon will be available. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. Companies release the coupons with a specific print limit but unfortunately we never know if that means the coupon will be available for 2 hours, 2 days or 2 months!!
I print anything that I might use no matter the value. If it is a high value coupon or for an item that I need or really want I will fire up all my computers. I would rather have the coupon just in case!!
2. Patty wants to know: Patty wants to know: I would like to know what is the best way to search for a coupon on a particular item. For example, I wanted to see if there was a coupon for Pert Plus shampoo and the search gave a lot of sites to go to but none of them gave a coupon. Can you give me some suggestions?
You can always use my Coupon Database here on I Heart Publix to look up available coupons. If you’re looking for coupons that haven’t been widely reported yet, though, your best bet is to look for the manufacturer’s website…you never know what you might find!
You can also do a Google search to try and hunt down coupons…you never know what you might find
3. Vincenza wants to know: I learned couponing from my mom 35 years ago. She had a HUGE shoebox full, organized by category. About a week before then end of each month she would go through and pull out all the coupons that were about to expire and try to use them that week. Couponing is so much more advanced now. Is this a good method, or should I just match coupons with sales as they happen and forget about trying to use up the expiring ones?
Christy: It all depends how much time you want to spend on couponing. Certainly I wouldn’t try to use ALL the expriring coupons you might have, but it might not be a bad idea to look through to see if there are any great coupons expiring…I know I’ve certainly missed out on a few great ones because I just forgot it was in there! That said, though, I still don’t go through my coupons every week – I just don’t have the time! I’m ok with missing out on a few deals like that as long as I get the main stuff every week with the sale.
Michelle: If I had more time I would probably go through my coupons each week but honestly I am doing good to pull expireds once per month!! I usually shop the sales and pull coupons as I need them. I do have a little container where I keep all of my “hot” coupons so that I can do a quick scan each week before I shop. These include any free product coupons, high value coupons or coupons for items that I know I need.
Michelle: No loyalty cards are needed to get the deals at Publix. Publix does offer a Upromise card which is a great way to get a little money for just shopping as you normally would! I have a nice little chunk built up for the boys and it required little to no effort!! Just ask for your card at the customer service desk, register it online then present it every time you shop.
Michelle: As far as I know–nope. I will have to let the commenters let me know if that is not correct!
I hope our answers to these questions were helpful! Make sure you ‘tune in’ next week for even more Q&A with I Heart Publix. If you have a question you’d like to see answered, email me at email@example.com.