You guys know that I am all about quick and easy meals...especially this time of year! I have a fantastic meal that I wanted to share that is not only easy, it's also incredibly economical. Today's recipe is my Easy Skillet Sausage & Rice.
This is a recipe that I have been making for probably 20 + years! I can remember making this in my townhouse for my roommates when I was in college. I don't think I used the veggies then...that might have been a little more than I could afford as a poor college student, but it's still the same basic concept.
No matter who I have made this for, it's always a hit. It's a simple recipe but it's so tasty! Whether you are trying to stretch your budget or just want a quick and easy meal, you really should give this one a try. I think you'll find the pan will be wiped out at the end of dinner!
What's great is that you can whip it up at a very nice price thanks to the savings available on Farmland Sausage. Remember Farmland Homestyle Sausage is gluten free with no MSG and full of delicious all natural flavor that gives this recipe a fantastic flavor!
- 12 oz package Farmland Homestyle Sausage
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped (red & green)
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 2½ cups water
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon base or 1 bouillon cube
- Add the sausage and onion to a large skillet and cook over medium high heat until the sausage is browned. Stir frequently crumbling the sausage as you stir.
- Drain any excess fat from the meat and add the bell pepper, mushrooms, rice, water, bouillon base and onion soup mix.
- Cook on medium low heat until the mixture begins to boil then cover and reduce to low.
- Cook for 20 - 22 minutes until rice is tender.
- Serve and enjoy.
If you need more recipe inspiration. Here are a few other recipes to help you put that sausage offer to use.
This post is brought to you by the folks at Farmland Homestyle Sausage. All comments and opinions are my own!