You know, Mother's Day is just around the corner. I always tell my boys that Mother's day should span an entire week. I certainly wouldn't mind that extra attention.
It's one of my favorite days of the year. My boys give me lots of hugs and kisses but they also handle all the cooking and cleaning. That's such a nice change of pace. The best part? All of my guys are happy to pitch in...well, at least for one day! They know that being a mom is one of the hardest jobs and they are happy to celebrate with me. So...what's a celebration without a sweet treat?
I always try to have ideas for the guys that don't require any cooking. My go-to option is always a Sara Lee Pound Cake. There's nothing better than a slice with some whipped cream and fresh strawberries. It's quick, easy and absolutely delicious. I get a Mother's Day treat without being left with a sink full of dishes to clean up the next day.
Sara Lee frozen desserts are made with real, quality ingredients. They can be enjoyed simply ‘as-is’ or easily customized with your favorite ingredients to provide delicious, time-saving solutions whenever you need a sweet treat.
I have a fantastic recipe that would be perfect for mom. My Strawberry-Lime Poke Cake is super simple but is a beautiful presentation that will have mom smiling ear to ear. Get the kids in the kitchen and let them help you. They'll have fun poking holes in the cake and of course seeing the results once the cake is cut.
Anyone can make this one. The only cooking required is to boil water and you can do that in the microwave! Print this recipe off and have your husband throw on an apron. You'll love the taste and he'll love how simple it is thanks to Sara Lee!
- 1 family size Sara Lee Pound Cake (16 oz)
- 1 3 oz box of strawberry gelatin
- ½ cup water, boiling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lime (zest and juice) + extra lime for garnish
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped + extra for garnish
- Using a bread knife, cut the pound cake in half lengthwise.
- Use a fork or skewer to poke holes in the cut sides of each half of the cake.
- Dissolve the gelatin into the boiling water.
- Pour the gelatin over the cake.
- Allow to chill about one hour.
- To make the frosting, place the heavy cream and powdered sugar in your stand mixer and mix on low for 3 minutes.
- Add the zest of the lime and the juice (about 1 tablespoon) and beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Remove ½ cup of the frosting and mix with the chopped strawberries then spread over the bottom layer of the Sara Lee Pound Cake.
- Add the top layer then frost with the remaining frosting.
- Garnish with extra strawberries and limes.
This post is brought to you by Sara Lee. All comments and opinions are my own.