I always have a couple of cans of salmon in my pantry. It’s the perfect thing for those days that I forget to take something out of the freezer to defrost. Salmon Croquettes are so simple to throw together and they cook up super fast. Add in the fact that a can of salmon is under $3 and you have an incredibly inexpensive meal!
Money was very tight when I was growing up. Meat wasn’t on the menu every single day…it was expensive and we were poor. These babies were on the table often, so I learned to love them. Beans and canned fish were a great way to get protein without spending a lot of moolah.
I honestly don’t even measure anything when I throw these together. Last night as I was making these, I forced myself to measure so that I could share an actual recipe with you guys–tee hee. Throw in a binder with a few tasty ingredients and form patties that then cook for 8 – 10 minutes and voila…dinner.
The sauce is another thing I just whip up without measuring. My husband is the only one who eats it…you know I have that mayo aversion thing. It’s similar to a remoulade and only needs a few ingredients. Of course you can also just throw a bottle of ketchup on the table. That always seems to make my guys happy 😉
Now you will notice that I do 10 small patties. You can do large patties and turn them into easy salmon burgers if you prefer. I make up the same recipe then form four large patties and then toss them on buns for a change of pace. Served with some sweet potato fries and there’s another quick and easy dinner in a pinch. Hey…two recipes for the price of one–tee hee!
This recipe is part of the Publix Menu Plan 10/29. Here are the other recipes that I have shared so far –
- 1 can of pink salmon (14.5 oz), drained & deboned
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion or shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Honey-Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- oil for frying (about 1 tablespoon)
- Mix all ingredients (except oil) and form into 10 patties.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes per side).
- Remove to paper lined plate.